- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 41 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 16, 2002
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Paramount
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - English
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Digital Stereo - French
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Selection
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 06/01/1996
"...Fine direction, photography and plotting have rarely been combined so effectively in a serial-killer story....Kiefer Sutherland excels in his juicily repellant role..."
Variety - 01/15/1996
"A high concept plot, a hot-button social issue....Sally Field toplines to good effect....Woodard is a standout..."
Karen McCann's (Sally Field) world is torn apart while driving home one day when she receives a call on her cell phone from her daughter--who is being raped and murdered as she speaks. The murderer--smirking, animalistic Robert Doob (Kiefer Sutherland)--is arrested, but is then released on a technicality. Seeking an outlet for her anger and despair, Karen joins a support group--and then a vigilante organization--becoming increasingly obsessed with bringing her daughter's killer to justice and gaining vengeance at whatever cost. Directed by John Schlesinger (MIDNIGHT COWBOY) and based on the novel by Erika Holzer.
Karen and Mack McCann's worst nightmare comes true when their teenage daughter is brutally raped and murdered by Robert Doob, a cold, sneering lowlife. Matters deteriorate even further when the court dismisses the murderer's case, due to police error. Naturally, Mack and Karen are completely enraged, but Mack eventually succeeds in controlling his anger and dealing with the situation. Karen's mounting fury and frustration, however, cause her to become obsessed with both Doob, and with avenging her daughter's death. As a result, she begins to stalk the psychopath -- she even takes karate lessons, and buys a gun. But is killing Doob really the answer to her problems'
Law / Lawyers |
Theatrical Release |
- Released theatrically in the USA January 12, 1996. The film grossed $26.8 million domestically.
- Color by DeLuxe. Filmed with Panavision cameras and lenses. Printed on Eastman Kodak Film.
- Shot on location in Los Feliz, Pasadena, downtown Los Angeles, Hancock Park, and in the Miracle Mile/mid-Wilshire sections.
- Principal photography began on April 24, 1995 and completed July 11, 1995.
- Rated BBFC 18 by the British Board of Film Classification.
- Copyright 1995 Paramount Pictures.