Lee Dorsey Wheelin' and Dealin': The Definitive Collection
Hurry! Only 1 copy left Sorry no back-orders
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$8.06 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.92 (19% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: May 21, 1999
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Camden International
- 1.Ya Ya
- 2.Do Re Mi
- 3.Ride Your Pony
- 4.Work Work Work
- 5.Can You Hear Me
- 6.Get Out of My Life Woman
- 8.Working in the Coal Mine
- 9.Holy Cow
- 10.Operation Heartache
- 11.Gotta Find a Job
- 12.Love Lots of Lovin
- 13.My Old Car
- 14.Go Go Girl
- 15.I Can't Get Away
- 16.Lottie Mo 68
- 17.Lover Was Born
- 18.Everything I Do Gohn Be F
- 19.Give It Up
- 20.Candy Yam
Includes liner notes by The Hound.
Digitally remastered by Bob Irwin (Sundazed Studios, Coxsackie, New York).
This is an excellent compilation of New Orleans-bred R&B singer Lee Dorsey's best songs, including the infectious singalong "Ya Ya," the chugging "Working in a Coal Mine," and the supremely funky "Give It Up."
Photographer: Michael P. Smith.
When he wasn't pounding out fenders in his body shop, Lee Dorsey would venture into the studio to lay down some of the catchiest New Orleans-based R&B released in the '60s. His largest hit (covered later by Steve Miller who also had success with it), "Ya-Ya," was a number-one hit and his signature tune. Most importantly, the song became a distinct member in the hallowed club of great nonsense songs.
The other great moments here offer similar rewards of easy-going charm and brevity. Nearly every tune is shorter than three minutes, as if the good times were too contagious to sustain. The clanging "Working in the Coal Mine" (covered by Devo in the '80s) may describe hard labor but it sounds like a hell of a lot of fun to hear Dorsey tell it. The more ruminative "Holy Cow" dispels heartbreak in 2:41 minutes of plaintive longing. The bubbling "Love Lots of Lovin'" quickly turns the percolator back up. And when the jumpy New Orleans rhythms kick in, the charms of Lee Dorsey defy resistance.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
I Won't Cry: The Complete Ric & Ron Singles 1959-1964 (CD)
$12.35 Super Savings
Storm Warning: Philly Original Soul Classics, Volume 1 (CD)(2)
$13.95 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE