Buster Keaton - Industrial Strength: Classic Commercials, Industrial Films & Archival Rarities (2-DVD)
|You Save:||$20.97 (84% Off)|
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 5 hours, 30 minutes
- Video: Black & White / Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: January 7, 2006
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Mackinac Media
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Description by OLDIES.com:
Now Laughsmith Entertainment and Mackinac Media presents another facet of "The Great Stone Face," providing fans with an opportunity to rediscover many of Buster Keaton's rarely seen gems from the silent and sound eras! Through newly restored and remastered shorts, features, forgotten industrial films, promotional films, commercials, live television appearances and out-takes, Industrial Strength Keaton reveals the continuing artistry of Hollywood's greatest laugh maker, paying homage to a career spanning nearly every form of recorded visual media from 1917 until his final work in 1965.
Whether you enjoy silent film, classic comedy, early television, or just revel in the pleasure of screening rare Keaton material that has been unavailable for decades, you'll find something to enjoy in this tribute to one of filmdom's most celebrated comic geniuses.
- The Playhouse (1921) B&W / Silent: Audio commentary track; Digitally remastered and restored version of one of Keaton's greatest shorts.
- Character Studies (Mid-1920s) B&W: Audio commentary track;Recently discovered short with famed magician Carter DeHaven and featuring cameos by Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle, Jackie Coogan, Douglas Fairbanks, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd and Rudolph Valentino.
- Parlor, Bedroom and Bath (1931) B&W / sound feature: Audio commentary track; Keaton's Italian villa still gallery; Digitally remastered and restored feature. Definitive version.
- Seein' Stars (1922) B&W / sound
- The Voice of Hollywood #10 (1929) B&W / sound
- Hollywood on Parade #A-6 (1933) B&W / sound
- An Old Spanish Custom (1935) B&W / sound: Audio commentary track; Original press book
- The Butcher Boy / Can of Molasses Sketch
- "The Butcher Boy" (1917) B&W / Silent clip with Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle
- "The Ed Wynn Show" (1949) B&W / Sound with Ed Wynn
- "You Asked For It" (1957) B&W / Sound with Eddie Gribbon
- Unknown TV appearance (1950s) B&W / Sound with Billy Gilbert
- "The Martha Raye Show" (1956) B&W / Sound
- The Concert: Buster Keaton and Martha Raye recreate a sketch originally used in the classic Charlie Chaplin feature Limelight.
- "Circus Time" (1956)
- Alka Seltzer (1958) [5 spots]
- Northwest Orient Airlines (1958)
- Simon Pure Beer (1958) [6 spots]
- Shamrock Oil / Outtakes (1959): Audio commentary track and director's interview track
- Milky Way (1961)
- Pure Oil (1965)
- Country Club Malt Liquor (1958) [3 spots]
- Ford Econoline (1963)
- Jeep - Lessons in Living (1960): Only surviving complete Jeep commercial; Recently discovered fragments from previously undocumented Jeep commercials.
- Pure Oil (1965)
- "The Devil To Pay" (1960) B&W / Sound Short
- "The Homeowner" (1961) - Color / Sound Short (Recently discovered, previously undocumented Keaton industrial film.)
- "The Triumph of Lester Snapwell" (1963) - Color short
BONUS FEATURES & MATERIAL:
- "1 Parlor, 5 Bedrooms and 6 Baths" - New mini-documentary from filmmaker Jack Dragga.
- Commentary tracks from comedy historians Andy Coryell, Paul Gierucki, Bruce Lawton, Steve Massa and Richard M. Roberts.
- Still galleries featuring previously unseen Keaton images, original press books, trade advertisements and more.
- New music scores from composer Ben Model.
- 20 page full color booklet with detailed descriptions of each film, archival photos and essays from authors / historians Ken Gordon, Steve Massa, David B. Pearson, Patricia Eliot Tobias and more!
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 20 ratings.
Music & movie companies think that if you can download or see or acquire their products at no cost, everyone will do so! This is not necessarily so - I've purchased many things from Oldies.com, mainly music related.
I borrowed this Keaton title from a library, and found it to have a number of fascinating segments which I was unaware of. It also fleshed out my understanding and appreciation of his life. I was delighted to find this here, and to purchase this title.
For those, such as myself, who have an interest in comedy, in general, and in Mr. Keaton, I highly recommend this. Due to the lack of sound, Buster became a top - notch visual comedian, despite his "stone face."
Top ranking DVD:
- Blood of Ghastly Horror (Deluxe Collector's Edition) (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up Case) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Brides of Blood (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Pterodactyl Woman From Beverly Hills (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Mad Doctor of Blood Island (DVD) ~ $5.95 on SALE