- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 34 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 24, 2001
- Originally Released: 1987
- Label: Lions Gate
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case - Sensormatic
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 08/28/1987
"...[Not since APOCALYPSE NOW] has there been spectacle to equal the scenes showing the dropping of phosphorous bombs in the jungle....Vance is particularly fine..."
Variety - 08/12/1987
"...Well produced and directed with an eye to documentary-like realism and authenticity..."
Los Angeles Times - 08/28/1987
"...HAMBURGER HILL pays heartfelt, richly deserved tribute to the young American soldiers who fought so valiantly..."
Empire - 07/01/2008
3 stars out of 5 -- "Dylan McDermott and Courtney B. Vance impress....A young Don Cheadle is one of the few survivors....HAMBURGER HILL is stirring..."
It was Vietnam, 1969, Hill 937, 10 days, 70 percent casualties. Those are the facts. This is the story: dodge the gunfire, get caught behind enemy lines, go into battle beside the brave young men who fought and died, and feel their desperation and futility.
In 1969, fourteen new Army recruits, mostly poor whites and blacks, go through the rigors of basic training in preparation for service in Vietnam. Once overseas, they are sent on a suicide mission to capture the insignificant and well-protected Hamburger Hill.
Big Battles |
Theatrical Release |
- Director John Irvin had previously shot a documentary in Vietnam in 1969.
- Filmed on location in the Philippines.
- Copyright 1987 RKO Pictures, Inc.