- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 2 hours, 23 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 2, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Walt Disney Video
- 2-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital Surround Sound 5.1 - English
- DTS 5.1 Surround Sound - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Deleted and Alternate Scenes
- "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color"
- "Moonlight Serenade" - Scene Progression
- "Disneyland Pirates Virtual Reality Viewer"
- "Moonlight Becomes Ye" - Effects Studio
- "Dead Men Tell No Tales" - The History of The Attraction
- "An Epic at Sea - The Making of PIRATES"
- "Fly on the Set"
- Gore Verbinski - Director, Johnny Depp - Star
- Jerry Bruckheimer - Producer
- Keira Knightley, Jack Davenport, Stars
- Ted Elliott, Terri Rossio - Writers, Stuart Beattie, Jay Wolpert - Story
- "Diary of a Pirate"
- "Diary of a Ship"
- "Producer's Photo Diary with Jerry Bruckheimer"
- Image Galleries
- PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN Attraction Image Gallery
- Storyboard Viewer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 07/18/2003
"...It's ornate and breathless..."
New York Times - 07/09/2003
"...An often frenetic, colorful and enchanting comic adventure....The dazzling, high-flying silliness is quite an achievement..."
USA Today - 07/09/2003
"...A big-budget popcorn movie that delivers what moviegoers hunger for: humor, action, thrills and charismatic characters..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 07/09/2003
"...[Depp's] performance is original in every atom..."
Variety - 07/14/2003
"...[With] disarming humor, engaging acting and colorful action bursts..."
Rolling Stone - 08/07/2003
"...Depp swans through this swashbuckler with a scene-stealing gusto unseen since Marlon Brando in MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY..."
Box Office - 09/01/2003
"...Depp casts a spell every bit as powerful as any demonic bullion..."
Sight and Sound - 09/01/2003
"..The most satisfying of this summer's blockbusters....Lively, humorous and well-cast..."
Us Weekly - 12/15/2003
"...The swashbuckling smash stars a hysterical Johnny Depp..."
Total Film - 07/01/2006
"[Depp's] dippy delivery gives Gore Verbinski's pirate swashbuckler its gleeful sense of salty swish."
Loosely inspired by the time-honored Disney theme-park ride, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL is a swashbuckling high-seas tale directed by Gore Verbinski. When Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp), an eccentric rogue, arrives at Port Royal, he barely avoids going down with his ship. Soon enough, he's in the market for a new one, but not before he saves the life of Elizabeth Swann (Keira Knightley), the beautiful daughter of the governor (Jonathan Pryce). This act of bravery sets into motion a sweeping adventure involving Elizabeth's childhood friend, blacksmith Will Turner (Orlando Bloom); a mysterious medallion; and a legendary pirate ship, the Black Pearl. The Pearl's mottled Captain Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush) wants Elizabeth's doubloon necklace, and when she's kidnapped by the ol' salty dog and his crew, Sparrow and young Will must rescue her and find out the truth behind the ship's curse.
Verbinski's PIRATES is a welcome throwback to Hollywood offerings of yesteryear, filled with rope-swinging heroes, crusty villains, treasure hoards, swift swordplay, and even wittier wordplay. Screenwriters Terry Rossio and Ted Elliott have crafted one of the most clever action-movie scripts in many moons, and this gives the filmmakers and cast (especially Depp) plenty of room to cut loose. Although the skeletal pirates may be a bit frightening for small children, there's lots of humor to temper the scary moments, making PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL a nearly flawless fun film.
Essential Cinema |
High Seas |
- Theatrical Release: JULY 9, 2003