- Rated: PG
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 10 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 21, 2000
- Originally Released: 1984
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 04/25/1984
"...THE BOUNTY is an intelligent, first-rate [tale]....Well-done in all departments, [the] film is distinguished by a sensational, startlingly human performance by Anthony Hopkins..."
USA Today - 12/01/2000
"...Time has been kind to THE BOUNTY. Both its casting and its intelligence still command respect..."
Sight and Sound - 05/01/2002
"...[It's] historically faithful and boasts a moving performance from Anthony Hopkins..."
THE BOUNTY is a well-made adventure based on the disastrous voyage of the HMS Bounty, starring Mel Gibson as the rebellious crew leader Fletcher Christian and Anthony Hopkins as the stern Captain Bligh. Although the story was filmed twice before, this revisionist version of the mutinous tale offers new insight into the characters, particularly through its depiction and exoneration of Bligh. In this film, he is seen as a professional seaman who maintains an appropriate level of discipline, rather than an outrageous tyrant. Under Bligh's autocratic rule, the Bounty begins an ill-timed voyage around Cape Horn. The crew approach a breaking point, and Christian leads them in revolt. But Christian fails to grasp the dire consequences that await them all. Roger Donaldson's movie features a remarkable cast that includes Gibson, Hopkins, Laurence Olivier, Liam Neeson, Daniel Day-Lewis, Edward Fox, and Bernard Hill.
- This production began as a project by David Lean. With the intention of telling a historically accurate account of the H.M.S. Bounty for the first time, David Lean hired playwright Richard Bolt to write two films, "The Lawbreakers" and "The Long Arm." Production of "The Bounty" was eventually undertaken by Dino de Laurentiis, who had already paid for the construction a replica ship.
- Copyright 1984 Dino de Laurentiis Corporation.
- Shot in Technicolor and widescreen JDC Scope (anamorphic process).
- Filmed on location in Tahiti, New Zealand and England.
- Additional cast: Wi Kuki Kaa (King Tynah), Tevaite Vernette (Mauatua), Philip Martin Brown (Adams).
- Additional credits: Louise Carrigan (set decoration).