- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 52 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 19, 2009
- Originally Released: 1963
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- 2-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Collectors Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Mono - English, French, Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Documentary: "The Real Virgil Hilts: A Man Called Jones"
- Audio Commentary: Cast & Crew
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- Behind the Scenes:
- "THE GREAT ESCAPE: Heroes Underground"
- "THE GREAT ESCAPE: The Untold Story"
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Total Film - 07/01/2000
"...THE GREAT ESCAPE is the finest, all-out entertaining movie from that pot of World War Two, multi-star films..." -- 4 out of 5 stars
Premiere - 06/01/2004
"[ESCAPE] features lush European landscapes, an infectious score, and McQueen's iconic motorcycle antics."
Entertainment Weekly - 05/28/2004
"[With] strong performances by actors as varied as Donald Pleasence and Charles Bronson..."
Essential Cinema |
Prison / Prisoners |
True Story |
World War II
- Theatrical release: August 8, 1963.
- Shooting location: Bavaria, Germany.
- Donald Pleasence, the Forger, was an RAF wireless operator during the war, serving time in a German POW camp after his Lancaster was shot down.
- Walt Floody, the actual Tunnel King, was a technical adviser on the film.
- The famous barbed-wire scene that made Steve McQueen's career was done by his friend, stuntman Bud Elkins, with one of the Triumph 600s used in the film.