- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 2 hours, 56 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: October 20, 1998
- Originally Released: 1977
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Total Film - 06/01/2000
"...The last cast-of-thousands, star-studded war movie ever made, Attenborough's three-hour epic deserves repeated viewing..." -- 4 Stars
New York Times - 06/16/1977
"...Certainly equal to Darryl F. Zanuck's THE LONGEST DAY....One watches it not so much in admiration as in awe..."
Richard Attenborough's ambitious, all-star adaptation (by William Goldman) of Cornelius Ryan's book, gives an account of the Battle of Arnhem. In 1944, the Allied powers attempt to expedite the end of the war with a costly operation to capture six bridges connecting Holland to Germany ended in Allied defeat. A multitude of notables star in Attenborough's epic.
Director Richard Attenborough's ambitious, all-star, adaptation of Cornelius Ryan's book, dealing with the true account of the Battle of Arnhem. In 1944, the Allied powers attempted to expedite the end of the war by planning an ambitious and costly operation (the capturing of six bridges connecting Holland to Germany) that ended up getting bungled by both the Allied and Axis powers.
Big Battles |
True Story |
World War II
- Film was originally rated R by the MPAA, but won a PG on appeal.
- Color by Technicolor, deluxe prints. Shot in Panavision.
- Budget estimate $24 million.
- Additional cast: Peter Faber, Frank Grimes, and Christopher Good.
- Additional credits: Richard Bamber (2nd unit production manager), Ronnie Sloan (chief hairdresser), John Hilling (wardrobe master), Margaret Levin (wardrobe mistress), Connie Willis (continuity), Steve Lanning, Peter Waller, and Geoffrey Ryan (assistant directors), Dave Waterman and John Partington-Smith (parachute photography), and Joe Caroff (titles).
- Rated BBFC A by the British Board of Film Censors.
- DVD Special Features: 8-page Book Featuring Trivia, Production Notes and a Look Behind the Scenes, Theatrical Trailer