- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 16 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 7, 2002
- Originally Released: 1966
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
The Arab leader Mahdi is involved in a battle of wits and swords with the British General "Chinese" Gordon. Academy Award Nominations: Best (Original) Story and Screenplay.
This epic historical film chronicles the true story of Sir Charles Gordon, a gallant British general during the 1880s. Gordon accepted the assignment of liberating English citizens and Egyptians from the Sudan city of Khartoum, which had been invaded by The Mahdi and his Arab forces. But Mahdi proved to be a formidable enemy, setting the stage for numerous bloody, action-packed battles in the desert, with many lives hanging in the balance.
Period Piece |
Theatrical Release |
- Color by Technicolor. Filmed in Egypt and completed at Pinewood Studios, England.
- Shot in Ultra-Panavision. Presented in Cinerama.
- Additional cast: Alec Mango (Bordeini Bey); Alan Tilvern (Awaan); Michael Anthony (Herbin); Jerome Willis (Frank Power); Leila (Dancer).
- Additional credit: Bluey Hill (assistant director); Eliot Elisofon (prolog direction).