- Rated: PG-13
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 53 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: July 27, 1999
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: New Line Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Digital Surround - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Cast & Crew Biographies and Filmographies
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 12/23/1996
"...A handsomely mounted picture visually dominated by photogenic Italian locations..."
In this period romance based on nurse Agnes von Kurowsky's account of her brief, wartime affair with a young Ernest Hemingway, the future novelist is injured while working for the Red Cross in Italy. Upon entering the hospital, the brash patient falls in love with Agnes, his saintly nurse, and vows to make her love him. Adapted from the 1989 novel, "Hemingway in Love and War," the film chronicles the events upon which Hemingway based his own novel, "A Farewell to Arms."
Period Piece |
Theatrical Release |
True Story |
- Limited theatrical release in the USA December 25, 1996; wide January 24, 1997.
- The film is based on a true story in Ernest Hemingway's life and which he recounts in the novel "A Farewell to Arms."