- Rated: PG-13
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 42 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 9, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: New Line Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Additional Release Material:
- Deleted Scenes
- Audio Commentary: Mandy Moore - Star, Clare Kilner - Director
- Music Video:
- "Why Can't I'" - Liz Phair
- "Billy S." - Skye Sweetnam
- Mandy Moore Profile
- Director Clare Kilner Profile
- "Sharpening the Edge: The Evolution of Teen Fiction"
- Trent Ford Profile
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Los Angeles Times - 07/18/2003
"...An appealing teen picture....HOW TO DEAL works up some genuine emotion offset by occasional humor and creates individuals of a certain degree of complexity..."
USA Today - 07/18/2003
"...Moore is funny and surprisingly believable..."
Entertainment Weekly - 07/25/2003
"...[Moore] is intensely appealing....Moore makes Halley's awakening organic and touching..."
Being a teenager is hard enough without having to deal with your parents' divorce, your sister's wedding, your best friend's pregnancy, and the death of a friend. And falling in love for the first time' That only makes everything harder. At least that's what 17-year-old Halley Martin (Mandy Moore) discovers during her junior year in high school. A confirmed skeptic on love after dealing with her parent's divorce, Halley doesn't understand how her best friend, Scarlett (Alexandra Holden) can suddenly be head over heels for her first serious boyfriend. Or, for that matter, how her older sister, Ashley (Mary Catherine Garrison), can marry stuffy Lewis (Mackenzie Austin) when they seem to disagree all the time. But when her friendship with a quirky schoolmate, Macon Forrester (Trent Ford), ultimately blossoms into romance, Halley suddenly has to reconsider everything she thought to be true about love. Allison Janney stars as Lydia, Halley's mom, a new divorcee dealing with being dumped for a younger woman by her ultra-hip DJ husband, Len (Peter Gallagher). Clare Kilner (JANICE BEARD: 45 WORDS PER MINUTE) is the director of this coming of age tale.
Based On A Novel |
Coming Of Age |
High School Experiences |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical Release Date: July 18, 2003