Terror In The Tropics (2005)
Alpha New Cinema (series)
|CYBER SALE:||$5.95 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
- The Black Sleep ~ $13.61
- One Frightened Night ~ $5.95
- The Phantom of Crestwood (Full Screen) ~ $12.37
- Terror In The Pharaoh's Tomb (2007) ~ $6.36
- Terror In The Tropics (2005) - 11" x 17" Poster ~ $7.98
More products that might interest you:
- Includes audio commentary, cast and crew interviews, discussion of early horror films and vintage movie trailers.
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 57 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Released: January 31, 2006
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Alpha Video
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- (unspecified) - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, Lon Chaney, Jr. & Mark Redfield|
|Directed by||A. Susan Svehla|
|Written by||A. Susan Svehla|
|Cinematography by||Jeff Herberger|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Inspired by film noir tribute Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, writer/director A. Susan Svehla uses footage and dialogue from Poverty Row classics starring Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff and Lon Chaney, Jr. to create a completely new film, albeit a homage to Monogram, PRC and Chesterfield. Although filmed in 2005, Terror in the Tropics channels the B spirit of the 1930s and '40s. With it's black and white photography, emulsion scratches, snappy dialogue and fondness for its subject, the film seamlessly blends modern photography with 70-year-old film clips.
Critics are raving about Terror in the Tropics!
"An homage no devoted movie fan will want to miss!"
--RICHARD GORDON, producer, Fiend Without A Face and The Haunted Strangler
"The use of scenes from some of our favorite old time black-and-white horror films is executed with style. Filled with inside jokes that will keep true horror fans howling with delight! Three thumbs up!
-- KEVIN CLEMENT, Chiller Theatre
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 34 ratings.
Granted this was supposed to be s poof of the old horror movies but it is done so poorly with such terribly amateur actors, I find it almost insulting. Not for me at all!
It's always good to see Poverty Row clips, and classic film lines and silly jokes bring back fond remembrances of lazy Saturday afternoons in front of the TV.
Nice change of pace from oh so serious DVDs with messages. The only message here is either laugh with us or at us, but just laugh.
This movie was a lot of fun. If you like the old poverty row horror movies of the 30's and 40's I think you will enjoy this spoof.
You've got to give Alpha Video credit-few small companies would take a bet on a movie like this...and I think we're all better off for it. THANKS ALPHA! Oh, the movie was a hoot.
Bela and Boris ROCK. This DVD was a ton-o-fun. Also saw Redfield in "Jekyll & Hyde" (also available from Alpha Video) -- which was also a neat flick.
I was a tad hesitant about ordering this DVD -- but at $8, I figured "What the heck?" I must say, I was pleasantly surprised by both the production values and the overall product. An interesting concept, and interesting execution. Well worth the investment and the time I spent watching it.
One of the better Alpha New Cinema releases is a major disappointment in that much of this movie is new shot on video footage. Yes, its an okay homage to the Poverty Row films of old, but since this was billing itself as being in the style of Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid I was hoping for more interaction between old and new characters. There is some, but not enough, or rather too much of it seems to be simply stock shots to set the scene. Funny in a knowing sort of way its fun for a film film, who can let go of the fact that like many of the Poverty Row movies of old the promised actors are just come ons. Rating based solely on disappointment factor, the movie is better than that.
- Sales Rank: 2,028
- UPC: 089218101693
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 2Pac Tupac - Live at the House of Blues (Blu-ray) ~ $15.96 CYBER SALE
- 2Pac Tupac - Complete Live Performances (2-DVD) ~ $15.96 CYBER SALE
- 50 Cent Behind-the-Scenes Footage and Music Videos (DVD) ~ $2.98 CYBER SALE
- 50 Cent Refuse 2 Die: The Unauthorized Biography (DVD) ~ $4.98 CYBER SALE
- 50 Cent Shoot First (DVD) ~ $4.98 CYBER SALE
Alpha New Cinema Product Series:
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
- Africa In Flames (DVD) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
- Amicus: House of Horror - A History of England's Groundbreaking Studio of Terror (2-Disc) (DVD-R) ~ $9.98 CYBER SALE
- Animusic 2 (DVD) ~ $16.98 CYBER SALE
- Samuel Z. Arkoff: FANEX Files - The Incredible Story of the Founder of American International Pictures (DVD-R) ~ $6.36 CYBER SALE