- Released: June 25, 2001
- Label: Spectrum Audio Uk
- 1.He Was Really Saying Something
- 2.Lonely Lonely Girl I Am
- 3.Since You've Been Loving Me
- 4.There He Goes
- 5.That's the Reason Why
- 6.I Know His Name (Only His Name)
- 7.Should I Tell Him
- 8.Throw a Farewell Kiss
- 9.These Things Will Keep Me Loving You
- 10.I'm the Exception to the Rule
- 11.Needle in a Haystack
- 12.Bird in the Hand, A (Is Worth Two in the Bush)
- 13.Let Love Live (A Little Bit Longer)
- 14.I'm So Glad It's Twilight Time
- 15.Think of the Times
- 16.Stop Beating Around the Bush - (previously unreleased)
- 17.Love Is Good - (previously unreleased)
- 18.Save Me (My Ship of Love Is Sinking) - (previously unreleased)
- 19.Boy from Crosstown, The - (previously unreleased)
Producers include: Norman Whitfield, William "Mickey" Stevenson, Bob Hamilton, Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol.
All tracks have been digitally remastered using 24-bit technology.
Liner Note Author: Paul Nixon.
Recording information: 04/1964/07/1966.
Largely overshadowed by the other dominant girl groups in the Motown stable, the Velvelettes quietly released a handful of singles that made a soft presence on the pop charts, but nothing in comparison to the bullets fired by the Vandellas, Supremes, and Marvelettes. That's not to say the quality was any less, as this best-of compilation clearly proves. Songs like "He Was Really Saying Something" and "Needle in a Haystack" were their largest numbers, but their vocal delivery proved that -- given the right production team and attention -- they could have been just as big as any of the aforementioned girl groups. Die-hard fans may want to check out the excellent 2005 Motown Anthology, but those wanting just the hits will find that this disc provides all of the Velvelette sounds they could possibly ever need. ~ Rob Theakston