Big Brother & The Holding Company Featuring Janis Joplin
Only 5 copies left
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
- 1.Bye, Bye Baby
- 2.Easy Rider
- 4.Light Is Faster Than Sound
- 5.Call On Me
- 6.Women Is Losers
- 8.Down On Me
- 10.All Is Loneliness
- 11.Coo Coo
- 12.The Last Time
- 13.Call On Me (Alternate Take)
- 14.Bye, Bye Baby (Alternate Take)
Personnel: Janis Joplin (vocals); James Gurley, Sam Andrew (electric guitar); Peter Albin (electric bass); David Getz (drums).
Recording information: 12/12/1966/12/14/1966.
Six months before becoming an overnight sensation following a blistering set at the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival, Big Brother was an unknown group from San Francisco playing a month-long Chicago club engagement. The band, made up of bassist Peter Albin, drummer David Getz, and guitarists James Gurley and Sam Andrew, was completed when the quartet was introduced to singer Janis Joplin by mutual friend Chet Helms.
When their gig was cut short, Big Brother avoided returning to California when Bob Shad signed the group to Mainstream Records, his small, struggling jazz label. The three-day recording session in December 1966 resulted in a set of mostly original songs, with the exception of New York City street musician Moondog's "All Is Loneliness" and a more secular arrangement of the gospel standard "Down on Me." Despite Joplin's fiery singing style, Big Brother was still the kind of democracy in which Joplin shared vocals with Sam Andrew on the trippy "Light Is Faster Than Sound" and the more soulful duet "Call on Me." But most of this record featured Joplin reaching back and channeling her hero Big Maybelle on songs like the brassy "Women Is Losers" and the no-nonsense "Intruder."
San Francisco Nuggets, 1965-1970: Love Is The Song We Sing... (CD)(39)
$57.29 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 5,087
- UPC: 886972332321
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection Product Series:
- 311 Music (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Playlist: The Very Best of 311 (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Playlist: The Very Best of 311 [Clean] (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Soundsystem (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Uplifter (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Rock & Pop: Hard Rock Music Categories:
12 Stones Anthem for the Underdog (CD) ~
$8.73 Super Savings
- 21 Guns Salute (CD) ~ $17.08
- 30 Seconds to Mars Love Lust Faith + Dreams [Clean] (CD) ~ $12.56
38 Special 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of .38 Special (CD) ~
$3.99 Super Savings
- 38 Special .38 Special (CD) ~ $8.98