- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: May 23, 1995
- Label: Motown
Entertainment Weekly - 10/16/92, p.74
"..The best overview of the group's sweet and punchy soul.." - Rating: A-
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.The Way You Do the Things You Do
- 2.I'll Be in Trouble
- 3.The Girl's Alright with Me
- 4.Girl (Why You Wanna Make Me Blue)
- 5.My Girl
- 6.It's Growing
- 7.What Love Has Joined Together
- 8.Who's Lovin' You
- 9.Since I Lost My Baby
- 10.You've Got to Earn It
- 11.Nobody But You
- 12.My Baby
- 13.Don't Look Back
- 14.Ol' Man River - (live)
- 15.Get Ready
- 16.Ain't Too Proud to Beg
- 17.You'll Lose a Precious Love
- 18.Beauty Is Only Skin Deep
- 19.(I Know) I'm Losing You
- 20.All I Need
- 21.You're My Everything
- 22.(Loneliness Made Me Realize) It's You That I Need
- 23.I Wish It Would Rain
- 24.I Could Never Love Another (After Loving You)
- 25.Please Return Your Love to Me
- 26.Lullaby of Love - (previously unreleased)
- 27.Impossible Dream
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Cloud Nine
- 2.I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
- 3.Runaway Child, Running Wild
- 4.Don't Let the Joneses Get You Down
- 5.I Can't Get Next to You
- 6.Psychedelic Shack
- 7.Ball of Confusion (That's What the World Is Today)
- 8.Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)
- 9.Superstar (Remember How You Got Where You Are?)
- 10.Papa Was a Rollin' Stone
- 12.Hey Girl (I Like Your Style)
- 13.Let Your Hair Down
- 14.Shakey Ground
- 15.Song for You
- 17.Standing on the Top, Pt. 1 - (featuring Rick James)
- 18.Treat Her Like a Lady
- 19.Lady Soul
ANTHOLOGY was originally released in 1973, but this revised 1995 version features a slightly altered track listing.
The Temptations: Elbridge Bryant, Eddie Kendricks, David Ruffin, Paul Williams, Otis Williams, Melvin Franklin, Dennis Edwards, Richard Street, Damon Harris (vocals).
Producers include: Smokey Robinson, Norman Whitfield, Ronald White, Frank Wilson, Nickolas Ashford, Berry Gordy.
This is part of the Motown Anthology series.
Personnel: Rick James (vocals, background vocals); Damon Harris, David Ruffin, Dennis Edwards, Eddie Kendricks, Theo Peoples, Ricky Owens, Glenn Leonard , Paul Williams , Eldridge Bryant, Louis Price, Ali-Ollie Woodson, Melvin Franklin, Richard Street, Ron Tyson, Diana Ross (vocals); The Mary Jane Girls, The Andantes (background vocals).
Audio Remasterer: Danny Caccavo.
Liner Note Author: Harry Weinger.
Unknown Contributor Role: Jerry Long.
Arrangers: Cornelius Grant; Don Costa; Rick James .
An augmented two-disc recapitulation of the mammoth triple-vinyl ANTHOLOGY released in the mid '70s, this 44-track set is the best place to start for any Temptations fan. Collecting all of their chart singles from "The Way You Do the Things You Do" through the early '80s collaboration with Rick James, "Standing on the Top," this is like a one-band history of soul. The Temptations had a remarkable ability to change with the times, moving from the slick soul of the Holland-Dozier-Holland years to the grittier sound of the Norman Whitfield era and from the sweet-voiced Eddie Kendricks to the growly David Ruffin and Dennis Edwards. The tunes speak for themselves. There was no better vocal group in pop music history than the Temptations, and ANTHOLOGY is the most concise and satisfying way to discover their magic.