Wild Cherry Wild Cherry
Only 8 copies left
|CYBER WEEK SALE:||$5.97 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
- 1.Play That Funky Music
- 2.The Lady Wants Your Money
- 3.99 1/2
- 4.Don't Go Near The Water
- 5.Nowhere To Run
- 6.I Feel Sanctified
- 7.Hold On
- 8.Get It Up
- 9.What In The Funk Do You See
Wild Cherry: Robert Parissi, Brian Bassett (vocals, guitar); Allen Wentz (vocals, bass, synthesizer); Ronald Beitle (vocals, drums).
Additional personnel includes: Chuck Berginc, Jack Brandiar, Joe Eckert, Rick Singer (horns); Mark Asvec (piano, synthesizer); Jerry Pollack (vibraphone); Tampa Lynn, Becky Goldstein (backround vocals).
Recorded at Cleveland Recording Company, Cleveland, Ohio. Includes liner notes by Bruno Bornio.
Wild Cherry gave up the funk as hard and nasty as just about any other '70s outfit you could name. The twist, as chronicled on this debut album's opening cut (the group's lone hit) "Play That Funky Music," is that the quartet was made up of guys with surnames like Wentz and Parissi--an unusual circumstance in those benighted, pre-Red Hot Chili Peppers days. Though some cuts are punctuated by a horn section, Wild Cherry mostly keeps its funk lean and mean, focusing on the rhythm section like any groove-based band should.
The central features of Wild Cherry's sound are Robert Parissi's lascivious, Rick James-like vocals and Allen Wentz's Bootsy/Larry Graham-derived bass style, a marvel of hard-hitting, thumb-slapping funk. Though things drift a bit off course with an ill-advised cover of the Motown classic "Nowhere To Run" and the obligatory ballad "Hold On," the hard-partying, heavy-grooving sound of "I Feel Sanctified" and "Don't Go Near The Water" sets things right. The album closes as it opened, with Parissi pledging Wild Cherry's allegiance to the funk, declaring the group's choice of Soul Train over Woodstock.
Average White BandPickin' Up The Pieces: Best of The Average White Band...
$7.79 CYBER WEEK
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 26 ratings.
Based on 26 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 17,140
- UPC: 886972458229
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- !!! Louden Up Now (2-LP) ~ $15.95 CYBER WEEK
- !!! Must Be The Moon (3vrs) (Import) (12") ~ $6 CYBER WEEK
- The "5" Royales Catch That Teardrop (CD) ~ $13.17 CYBER WEEK
- "A" Train Featuring Miki Honeycutt River Of People (LP) ~ $7.49 CYBER WEEK
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3 CYBER WEEK