- Released: March 19, 2001
- Label: Universal Uk/Zoom
Q - 12/93, p.1403 Stars
- Good - "...At times, [SCREENPLAYING] is all a bit log-fires and liqueurs but [Mark Knopler's] talent for melody always saves the day..."
- 1.Irish Boy
- 2.Irish Love
- 3.Father and Son
- 4.Potato Picking
- 5.The Long Road
- 6.A Love Idea
- 8.Finale - Last Exit To Brooklyn
- 9.Once Upon A Time...Storybook Love
- 10.Morning Ride
- 11.The Friends' Song
- 12.Guide My Sword
- 13.A Happy Ending
- 14.Wild Theme
- 15.Boomtown (Variations Louis' Favourite)
- 16.The Mist Covered Mountains
- 18.Going Home - Theme of The Local Hero
SCREENPLAYING is a collection of music Mark Knopfler has written and performed for motion picture soundtracks.
Personnel: Mark Knopfler (guitar, synthesizer, drums, percussion); David Nolan, Irvine Arditti (violin); Paul Brady (mandolin, whistle); Liam O'Flynn (Uilleann pipes); Michael Brecker (saxophone); Alan Clark (piano, Hammond organ, synthesizer); Guy Fletcher (keyboards); Mike Mainieri (vibraphone); Eddie Gomez, Neil Jason, Tony Levin (bass); Terry Williams (drums); John Illsley, Steve Jordan.
Engineers include: Neil Dorfsman, Marc De Sista, Steve Jackson.
This album presents excerpts from four movie scores written and performed by Dire Straits leader Mark Knopfler: Cal, Last Exit to Brooklyn, The Princess Bride, and Local Hero. The music is reminiscent of the calmer parts of Dire Straits songs: melodic, lyrical, and touching. ~ William Ruhlmann