- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: March 15, 2005
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: Lions Gate
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 10/01/1994
"...Entertaining. Bette Midler is manic as the obsessive, ambitious Rose..."
USA Today - 03/04/1994
"...You gotta have a gimmick, and the one here is competence..."
A new production of the stage play made famous by the 1962 Rosalind Russell film. Bette Midler is the domineering mother of Gypsy Rose Lee. Arthur Laurents wrote the original story and Stephen Sondheim penned the lyrics.
A three-hour, made-for-TV version of the Jule Styne/Stephen Sondheim Broadway musical. Vaudeville stage mother Mama Rose fulfills her lust for stardom vicariously through her two daughters -- one an actress, the other notorious stripper Gypsy Rose Lee.
- Original stage production directed and choreographed by Jerome Robbins.
- Original soundtrack recording on Atlantic compact discs and cassettes.
- RHI is the producer of "Lonesome Dove," "The Josephine Baker Story," and "The Incident."
- Filmed over an eight-week period in Los Angeles, California. Estimated budget of $14 million. CBS paid more than $5 million for two showings. "Gypsy" was released as a feature film internationally.