- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: March 15, 2005
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: Lions Gate
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 10/01/1994
"...Entertaining. Bette Midler is manic as the obsessive, ambitious Rose..."
USA Today - 03/04/1994
"...You gotta have a gimmick, and the one here is competence..."
A three-hour, made-for-TV version of the Jule Styne/Stephen Sondheim Broadway musical. Vaudeville stage mother Mama Rose fulfills her lust for stardom vicariously through her two daughters -- one an actress, the other notorious stripper Gypsy Rose Lee.
- Original stage production directed and choreographed by Jerome Robbins.
- Original soundtrack recording on Atlantic compact discs and cassettes.
- RHI is the producer of "Lonesome Dove," "The Josephine Baker Story," and "The Incident."
- Filmed over an eight-week period in Los Angeles, California. Estimated budget of $14 million. CBS paid more than $5 million for two showings. "Gypsy" was released as a feature film internationally.