The Chambers Brothers Time Has Come
Only 6 copies left
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Mojo (Publisher) - 11/00, p.118"...Their sweet harmonies, barely secularised repertoire and driving beat sounds liek nothing fromt heir time: their version of Bacharach & Davis's 'What The World Needs Now Is Love' is astonishing..."
Record Collector (magazine) - p.1015 stars out of 5 -- "They kick back and chill on Curtis Mayfield's glorious 'People Get Ready,' one of a number of covers where the group completely owns the song."
- 1.All Strung Out Over You
- 2.People Get Ready
- 3.I Can't Stand It
- 4.Romeo And Juliet
- 5.In The Midnight Hour
- 6.So Tired
- 8.Please Don't Leave Me
- 9.What The World Needs Now Is Love
- 10.Time Has Come Today
- 12.Falling In Love
- 13.Love Me Like The Rain
- 14.Time Has Come Today (Single Version One)
The Chambers Brothers: Lester Chambers, Willie Chambers, Joe Chambers, George Chambers, Brian Keeney.
Producer: David Rubinson.
Reissue producer: Bob Irwin.
Recorded between 1966 and 1967.
Includes liner notes by Peter Knobler.
A black four-piece vocal group with a white drummer in the '60s may not have been unique, but it was still something of a revolutionary act, and this, coupled with their smash hit "Time Has Come Today," ensures the Chambers Brothers their place in rock history. The group started out as the house band at the hip Electric Circus club in New York's East Village. Besides their hit, THE TIME HAS COME revolves around the band's gospel roots, which are effectively used to sweeten and develop a variety of R&B and pop material such as Bacharach and David's "What the World Needs Now Is Love," and the gently swinging "Romeo and Juliet."
Their version of Curtis Mayfield's "People Get Ready" is perhaps the most obviously gospel-based cut here, and with hindsight it's apparent that, rather being a new direction, the band's trippy excursion was something of a detour. But the cowbell and guitar intro to "Time" still thrills today--check out the sly "Little Drummer Boy" quote on the extended guitar solo, too. And in the light of later developments such as Parliament/Funkadelic, the rest of the track sounds like a prophecy.
Top of the Pop Hits - The 60s, Volume 2 - Disc 2 (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 35 ratings.
Based on 35 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 3,776
- UPC: 886972383224
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection Product Series:
- 311 Playlist: The Very Best of 311 [Clean] (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Soundsystem (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Uplifter (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 38 Special Rockin' Into The Night (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Rock & Pop: Psychedelic Music Categories:
- ? and The Mysterians The Best of ? And The Mysterians (Cameo Parkway) (CD) ~ $11.65 LABOR DAY
- 13th Floor Elevators The Albums Collection (All Four Original International Artists Albums Remastered) (4-CD) ~ $24.28
- 13th Floor Elevators Bull Of The Woods (Snapper UK) (2-CD) ~ $16.18
- 13th Floor Elevators Easter Everywhere (2-CD) ~ $16.79
- 13th Floor Elevators Live Evolution Lost (CD) ~ $15.08 LABOR DAY