- Rated: PG
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 9 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 11, 2004
- Originally Released: 1972
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Stereo Surround - Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Photo Montage With Overture Music
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Hit stage musical given the movie treatment. A skinny old gentleman with wispy white hair dreams the impossible dream. He is Don Quixote de La Mancha, the knight errant. Based on Cervantes' work finished in 1615. Academy Award Nominations: Best Song Score.
An entertaining, big-screen version of the popular musical "Man of La Mancha."
Miguel de Cervantes, the writer of "Don Quixote," is arrested and thrown into a dungeon during the Spanish Inquisition. When he's put on trial, the author tells the story of Quixote, fantasizing himself in the role of his famous idealistic hero.
Through flashbacks, the film shows the would-be-knight's quest for "The Impossible Dream," accompanied by his faithful sidekick Sancho Panza.
- Adapted from the musical play "Man of La Mancha," which was awarded Best Musical by Tony and Drama Critics voters in 1965. The play was suggested by the Cervantes novel "Don Quixote."
- Although Sopia Loren and James Coco sing their own songs, Peter O'Toole's singing was performed by Simon Gilbert.
"The Impossible Dream," performed by Simon Gilbert
"Man of La Mancha," performed by Simon Gilbert
"Dulcinea," performed by Simon Gilbert
"It's All the Same," performed by Sophia Loren
"Aldonza," performed by Sophia Loren
"A Little Gossip," performed by James Coco
"I Really Like Him," performed by James Coco
"Barber's Song," performed by Gino Conforti
"I'm Only Thinking of Him," performed by Julie Gregg,
Rosalie Crutchley and Ian Richardson
"The Psalm," performed by Ian Richardson
- Additional cast: Julie Gregg (Antonia); Dorothy Sinclair (Maria); Miriam Acevedo (Fermina); and Roy Jones, Teddy Green, Peter Johnston, Connell Miles, Lou Zamprogna, Peppi Borza, Paolo Bendandi, Dominic Barto, Steffan Zacharias, Francesco Ferrini, Mario Donen, Calogero Caruana and Rolando De Santis (Muleteers).
- A PEA Produzioni Europee Associate production.
- Shot at the Dino De Laurentiis studios in Rome and on location in the Italian countryside. Color by DeLuxe.
- Released theatrically in New York City on December 11, 1972.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 114 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- UPC: 027616903983
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item