- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 45 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: October 17, 2006
- Originally Released: 1934
- Label: Turner Home Ent
Product; Gay Divorcee, The
packaging-type; Amaray Case
screen-aspect; Standard [4:3 Transfer]
screen-aspect; Original Aspect Ratio - 1.33
sound-quality; English: Mono 1.0
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Academy Awards 1934 -
Best Original Song: Con Conrad & Herb Magidson
Entertainment Weekly - 11/10/2006
"The repartee is sharp, the plot is delightfully ridiculous, and the numbers...are knockouts." -- Grade: A
A lively adaptation of the stage musical, which featured Astaire and his sister, Adele and the first film in which Astaire and Rogers actually received star billing. While vacationing at an English seaside resort, a soon-to-be-divorced woman mistakes a lovestruck song-and-dance man for her paid co-respondent. As usual, the plot's not important when you see these two and hear classics like Cole Porter's Night and Day. Academy Award Nominations: 5, including Best Picture.
Description by Warner Home Video:
Gay Divorcee, The
In one of their best loved, most charming song-and-dance comedies, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers demonstrate just how they became best known as America's greatest dance team. Includes the Academy Award(R) winning hit "The Continental."
Director: Mark Sandrich
Starring: Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Alice Brady
- Songs include: "The Continental," "Night and Day," "Looking for a Needle in a Haystack," "Let's K-nock K-nees," "Don't Let It Bother You."
- The Turner videocassette #6092 is part of the "RKO Collection."
- The Turner videocassette #6328 is part of the "RKO Academy Award Collection." It features the original studio version of the film, a new package, and a digitally remastered print.
- Betty Grable performs "Let's K-nock K-nees."