- Rated: G
- Run Time: 1 hours, 47 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 31, 2004
- Originally Released: 1973
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital Stereo - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Film Highlights
- Audio Commentary: Norman Jewison - Director, Ted Neeley - Star
- Text/Photo Galleries:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Rolling Stone - 09/02/2004
An innovative example of modern techniques in moviemaking, this famous rock opera depicts the last week of Christ's life. Norman Jewison (MOONSTRUCK; IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT) directed this thrilling adaptation of Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical, starring Ted Neeley as Jesus and Carl Anderson as Judas Iscariot. Among the classic songs in the film are "I Don't Know How to Love Him," "Hosanna," and "King Herod's Song (Try It and See)." The song score was nominated for an Academy Award.
Based on the smash-hit Broadway musical, this colorful adaptation tells the story of a group of teenage actors who travel to Israel to reenact the Passion of Christ. The story is told through a lively and engaging series of song-and-dance numbers.
- Shot entirely on location in Israel.
- Color by Technicolor; shot in the Todd-AO 35 widescreen process.