- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 31 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: November 7, 2006
- Originally Released: 1958
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- 2-Disc Set
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Mono - Spanish, French
- Subtitles - Spanish - Optional
Disc 1: SOUTH PACIFIC - Original Theatrical; Widescreen
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Subtitles - English - Sing-a-long Subtitles
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Ted Chapin, Gerard Alessandrini - Broadway Theater Experts
Disc 2: SOUTH PACIFIC - Road Show Version; Widescreen
- Additional Release Material:
- Documentary: "60 Minutes: The Tales of The South Pacific"
- Audio Commentary: Richard Barrios - Film Historian
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- Bonus Footage:
Behind the Scenes:
- "I'm Going To Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair" (Martin, Pinza)
- "Finale" (Martin, Pinza)
- "Some Enchanted Evening" (Martin, Pinza)
- "A Wonderful Guy" (Martin, Pinza)
- "South Pacific" On The Screen-A Perfect Hit
- State Department Confers High Honor on SOUTH PACIFIC
- "Making of"
- Screen Test: Mitzy Gaynor
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Academy Awards 1958 -
Total Film - 01/01/2011
4 stars out of 5 -- "[I]t's the delicious, good-hearted exuberance of this WWII romantic musical, as well as the Rodgers & Hammerstein score, that grab you."
A Rodgers and Hammerstein classic revolving around a forbidden love affair between a native girl and a young American sailor on a Pacific island during World War II. Songs include "Some Enchanted Evening," "I'm in Love with a Wonderful Guy," and "Bali H'ai." Academy Award Nominations: 3. Academy Awards: Best Sound.
Love blossoms on a paradisical South Seas island during World War II in this splashy screen production of the hit Broadway musical. A Navy nurse falls for a French planter, an American lieutenant woos a fetching native girl and an assortment of sailors lust after female military personnel. All this amorous activity, with the attendant problems of interracial romance, provide fodder for the some of Rodger & Hammerstein's most famous and well-loved tunes, including "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Out of My Hair," "Bali Ha'i," and "Got to Be Taught to Hate."
- Filmed in Technicolor. Originally presented Todd-AO and CinemaScope.
- Estimated budget of $5 million. Location shots filmed in Hawaii.
- Additional cast members: Floyd Simmons (Harbison); Candace Lee (Ngana); Warren Hsieh (Jerome); Galvan De Leon (Sub Chef); Robert Jacobs (Communications Man); Archie Savage (Native Chief); Darleen Engle (Nurse-Dancer); Richard Cutting (Admiral Kester)
- Giorgio Tozzi was credited for dubbing in Ezio Pinza's voice. John Kerr's vocals were dubbed by Bill Lee; Juanita Hall's were dubbed by Muriel Smith (uncredited). Hall also appeared in the Broadway production.
- Additional orchestrations by Bernard Mayers. For the film version a new song, "My Girl Back Home," was added to the original score.
- Available to buy in the UK.
- Copyright 1994 CBS/Fox Co.