Dave Brubeck Time Out
|CYBER WEEK SALE:||$5.97 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: April 11, 2006
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Sony
Q - 3/95, p.1124 Stars (out of 5) - "...Whilst other jazz innovators mapped out new harmonic and melodic realms, Brubeck and his band were forging time signatures anew, giving the music the wonky grace of a gazelle running the 200 metre hurdles..."
Down Beat - p.614 stars out of 5 -- "Both 'Kathy's Waltz' and 'Strange Meadow Lark' contain melodies and moods that keep one hearing new things time and again..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 12/99, p.131"...superb remastering puts you in the room and brings out all the shimmer of Joe Morello's drums. Jazz-lite it may be, but jazz-lite has seldom been bettered."
Record Collector (magazine) - p.835 stars out of 5 -- "Brubeck's music employed unorthodox time signatures that owed more to western classical music, perhaps, than jazz....TIME OUT sounds as fresh and vibrant as it must have done back in 1959."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Dave Brubeck Quartet: Dave Brubeck (piano); Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Eugene Wright (bass); Joe Morello (drums).
Recorded at Columbia 30th Street Studios, New York, New York on June 25, July 1 & August 18, 1959. Includes liner notes by Dave Brubeck and Steve Race.
Personnel: Dave Brubeck (piano); Eugene Wright, Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Joe Morello (drums).
Liner Note Authors: Dave Brubeck; Steve Race.
Recording information: 30th Street Columbia Studios (06/25/1959-08/18/1959); 3oth Street Columbia Studios (06/25/1959-08/18/1959).
Photographer: Don Hunstein.
Dave Brubeck's TIME OUT ranks alongside Miles Davis' KIND OF BLUE as one of the few advanced jazz masterpieces to achieve great commercial success. In fact, the widespread popularity of TIME OUT, with its cool-toned ambience, smooth style, and elements borrowed from classical music, helped make modern jazz a mainstream phenomenon.
The ubiquitous "Take Five" may be overplayed, but that doesn't diminish the joy of its complex melodic hooks, its perfectly executed solos, or the swinging slink of its 5/4 signature. "Blue Rondo a la Turk" collages Mozart, cool swing, and Brubeck's own classically oriented piano style, and the airy, delicate "Everybody's Jumpin'" showcases the lyrical splendor of saxophonist Paul Desmond. With bassist Gene Wright and drummer Joe Morello keeping the tricky rhythms agile and swift, the Dave Brubeck Quartet blended complexity and accessibility for pure jazz pleasure on TIME OUT, an album everyone should own.
Dave Brubeck24 Classic Original Recordings: Distinctive Rhythm...
$10.56 CYBER WEEK
Charlie ParkerThe Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection
$5.39 CYBER WEEK
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 267 ratings.
Based on 267 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 29,772
- UPC: 074646512227
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 10 Years Feeding the Wolves (CD) ~ $4.48 CYBER WEEK
- 10,000 Maniacs In the City of Angels (Live) (CD) ~ $10.46 CYBER WEEK
- 101 Strings Orchestra Treasury of Christmas (3-CD) ~ $7.87 CYBER WEEK
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. The Best of 1910 Fruitgum Company (CD-R) ~ $11.98 CYBER WEEK
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD) ~ $5.97 CYBER WEEK
Jazz Instrument: Piano Music Categories:
- Muhal Richard Abrams Vision Towards Essence (Live) (CD) ~ $19.75 CYBER WEEK
- Joey Alexander My Favorite Things (CD) ~ $13.48 CYBER WEEK
- Monty Alexander Concrete Jungle: The Music of Bob Marley (CD) ~ $10.56 CYBER WEEK
- Monty Alexander / Ernest Ranglin Rocksteady (CD) ~ $17.08 CYBER WEEK
- Monty Alexander Stir It up: The Music of Bob Marley (CD) ~ $9.88 CYBER WEEK