Duke Ellington Such Sweet Thunder
Only 5 copies left
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Down Beat - p.744 stars out of 5 - "Energetic, enchanting and exceptional, vocalist Lorraine Feather's SUCH SWEET THUNDER features a selection of challenging, sometimes angular melodies..."
- 1.Such Sweet Thunder (Cleo)
- 2.Sonnet For Caesar
- 3.Sonnet To Hank Cinq
- 4.Lady Mac
- 5.Sonnet In Search Of A Moor
- 6.The Telecasters
- 7.Up And Down, Up And Down (I Will Lead Them Up And Down) (Puck)
- 8.Sonnet For Sister Kate
- 9.The Star-Crossed Lovers (AKA Pretty Girl)
- 10.Madness In Great Ones (Hamlet)
- 11.Half The Fun (AKA Lately)
- 12.Circle Of Fourths
- 13.The Star-Crossed Lovers (AKA Pretty Girl) (Stereo LP Master)
- 14.Circle Of Fourths (Stereo LP Master)
- 15.Suburban Beauty (Master Take)
- 16.A Flat Minor (Preferred Take)
- 17.Cafe Au Lait (Preferred Take)
- 18.Half The Fun (AKA Lately) (Alternate Take)
- 19.Suburban Beauty (Alternate Take)
- 20.A Flat Minor (Outtakes)
- 21.Cafe Au Lait (Outtakes)
- 22.Pretty Girl (AKA The Star-Crossed Lovers) (First Recording)
- 23.Bonus Track 1
Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); Russell Procope (alto saxophone, clarinet); Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Jimmy Hamilton (tenor saxophone, clarinet); Paul Gonsalves (tenor saxophone); Harry Carney (baritone saxophone); "Cat" Anderson, Ray Nance, Clark Terry, Willie Cook (trumpet); John Sanders, Britt Woodman, Quentin Jackson (trombone); Jimmy Woode (bass); Sam Woodyard (drums).
Producer: Irving Townsend.
Reissue producer: Phil Schaap.
Recorded between August 1956 and May 1957. Originally released on Columbia (CL 1033). Includes original liner notes by Irving Townsend and new liner notes by Bill Berry and Phil Schaap.
Digitally remastered by Phil Schaap and Mark Wilder.
Inspired by the words of William Shakespeare, Duke Ellington--possible the greatest jazz composer/bandleader America has produced--composed a suite that is a sublime tribute and could-be soundtrack to the plays of the immortal playwright. Commissioned in 1956 by the Stratford (Ontario) Shakespeare Festival, SUCH SWEET THUNDER is a 12-part suite in which, as the bard wrote for his company of players, Ellington fashions musical miniatures that evoke and parallel Shakespeare's characters.
"Sonnet for Caesar" is dark, somber, full of dissonant twists; "Lady Mac" is light, airy without-a-care ballroom dance music, until the surprise, fraught-with-portent ending; "The Star-Crossed Lovers" is late-night after-hours blues, the music that Romeo and Juliet listened to while holding hands at the No Exit Hideaway club. Ellington got such a unique orchestral sound by writing for the individual strengths and styles of his musicians. Highlights include the lush, luscious tone of alto saxophonist Johnny Hodges and trumpeter Clark Terry (who takes on the role of Puck here). THUNDER is a multi-faceted work that you don't have to be a drama student to enjoy--just a music fan.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 19 ratings.
Based on 19 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 21,365
- UPC: 886972438320
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection Product Series:
- 311 Playlist: The Very Best of 311 [Clean] (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Soundsystem (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Uplifter (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 38 Special Rockin' Into The Night (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Jazz Instrument: Big Band Music Categories:
- Ambrose (Big Band) The Hottest of the Decca 'M' Series (1929-1930) (CD) ~ $15.76
- Ambrose (Big Band) Legendary 1929 Sessions (CD) ~ $14.80 LABOR DAY
- Ivie Anderson I Got It Good and That Ain't Bad! (CD) ~ $18.51 LABOR DAY
- The Andrews Sisters Very Best Of (CD) ~ $9.58 LABOR DAY
- Ray Anthony The Navy Show Broadcasts (CD) ~ $17.04 LABOR DAY