Duke Ellington Such Sweet Thunder
Only 5 copies left
|CYBER WEEK SALE:||$5.97 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Down Beat - p.744 stars out of 5 - "Energetic, enchanting and exceptional, vocalist Lorraine Feather's SUCH SWEET THUNDER features a selection of challenging, sometimes angular melodies..."
- 1.Such Sweet Thunder (Cleo)
- 2.Sonnet For Caesar
- 3.Sonnet To Hank Cinq
- 4.Lady Mac
- 5.Sonnet In Search Of A Moor
- 6.The Telecasters
- 7.Up And Down, Up And Down (I Will Lead Them Up And Down) (Puck)
- 8.Sonnet For Sister Kate
- 9.The Star-Crossed Lovers (AKA Pretty Girl)
- 10.Madness In Great Ones (Hamlet)
- 11.Half The Fun (AKA Lately)
- 12.Circle Of Fourths
- 13.The Star-Crossed Lovers (AKA Pretty Girl) (Stereo LP Master)
- 14.Circle Of Fourths (Stereo LP Master)
- 15.Suburban Beauty (Master Take)
- 16.A Flat Minor (Preferred Take)
- 17.Cafe Au Lait (Preferred Take)
- 18.Half The Fun (AKA Lately) (Alternate Take)
- 19.Suburban Beauty (Alternate Take)
- 20.A Flat Minor (Outtakes)
- 21.Cafe Au Lait (Outtakes)
- 22.Pretty Girl (AKA The Star-Crossed Lovers) (First Recording)
- 23.Bonus Track 1
Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); Russell Procope (alto saxophone, clarinet); Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Jimmy Hamilton (tenor saxophone, clarinet); Paul Gonsalves (tenor saxophone); Harry Carney (baritone saxophone); "Cat" Anderson, Ray Nance, Clark Terry, Willie Cook (trumpet); John Sanders, Britt Woodman, Quentin Jackson (trombone); Jimmy Woode (bass); Sam Woodyard (drums).
Producer: Irving Townsend.
Reissue producer: Phil Schaap.
Recorded between August 1956 and May 1957. Originally released on Columbia (CL 1033). Includes original liner notes by Irving Townsend and new liner notes by Bill Berry and Phil Schaap.
Digitally remastered by Phil Schaap and Mark Wilder.
Inspired by the words of William Shakespeare, Duke Ellington--possible the greatest jazz composer/bandleader America has produced--composed a suite that is a sublime tribute and could-be soundtrack to the plays of the immortal playwright. Commissioned in 1956 by the Stratford (Ontario) Shakespeare Festival, SUCH SWEET THUNDER is a 12-part suite in which, as the bard wrote for his company of players, Ellington fashions musical miniatures that evoke and parallel Shakespeare's characters.
"Sonnet for Caesar" is dark, somber, full of dissonant twists; "Lady Mac" is light, airy without-a-care ballroom dance music, until the surprise, fraught-with-portent ending; "The Star-Crossed Lovers" is late-night after-hours blues, the music that Romeo and Juliet listened to while holding hands at the No Exit Hideaway club. Ellington got such a unique orchestral sound by writing for the individual strengths and styles of his musicians. Highlights include the lush, luscious tone of alto saxophonist Johnny Hodges and trumpeter Clark Terry (who takes on the role of Puck here). THUNDER is a multi-faceted work that you don't have to be a drama student to enjoy--just a music fan.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 19 ratings.
Based on 19 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 21,557
- UPC: 886972438320
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- 101 Strings Orchestra Treasury of Christmas (3-CD) ~ $7.87 CYBER WEEK
- 2 Pac Lowdown Unauthorized:Tupac Shakur (CD) ~ $5.57 CYBER WEEK
- 21 Guns Salute (CD) ~ $13.37 CYBER WEEK
- 2nd II None Classic 220 (CD-R) ~ $11.98 CYBER WEEK
- 2Pac Loyal to the Game (CD) ~ $8.34 CYBER WEEK