Shakti With John McLaughlin
Only 10 copies left
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Q - 11/94, p.1464 Stars - Excellent - "...Shakti were a revelation when they hit town. East and West finding a common goal in the creation of things lyrical and affirming..."
- 2.Lotus Feet
- 3.What Need Have I For This-What Need Have I For That-I Am Dancing At The Feet Of My Lord...
Shakti With John McLaughlin: L. Shankar (violin); John McLaughlin (guitar); Zakir Hussain (tabla); T.S. Vinayakaram (ghatam, mridangam); R. Raghavan (mridangam).
Producer: John McLaughlin.
Reissue producer: Mike Berniker.
Recorded at South Hampton College, July 5, 1975. Includes liner notes by John Ephland.
Digitally remastered by Larry Keyes.
For his next act, the decibel champion of electric jazz shocked the world by unplugging and returning to South Indian music before an excitable audience at South Hampton College. Yet the alert John McLaughlin follower will note that beyond the reliance upon South Indian instruments and scales, there are unbroken links to records like My Goal's Beyond and the high-speed electric music that McLaughlin was casting aside at the moment. McLaughlin called his new quintet Shakti, which means "creative intelligence and beauty and power" and the music here has all of that and something else, a ferocious streak inherited from the Mahavishnu days. McLaughlin ignites "Joy" by playing at a blazing speed, his cohorts Lakshminarayana Shankar (violin), Ramnad V. Raghavan and T.H. Vinayakram (mridangam), and Zakir Hussain (tabla) keeping up with the furious unison tempos with great dexterity and discipline, while a reworking of "Lotus Feet" forms a meditative interlude. Side two is taken up by a single, lengthy raga-like track in which McLaughlin combines his rapid-fire Western manner with note-bending techniques clearly emulating a sitar, and the Indians get plenty of dueling room. In its way, this fire-eating acoustic music is just as energizing as the most electrified Mahavishnu flights. ~ Richard S. Ginell
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 27 ratings.
Based on 27 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 20,744
- UPC: 886972428420
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Jazz Instrument: Guitar Music Categories:
- John Abercrombie 39 Steps (CD) ~ $17.08
John Abercrombie / John Abercrombie Quartet The First Quartet (3-CD) ~
$25.50 Super Savings
- John Abercrombie Rarum, Volume 14: Selected Recordings (CD) ~ $14.42
John Abercrombie / Ralph Towner Sargasso Sea (CD) ~
$9.64 Super Savings
John Abercrombie Solar: The Bebop Album (CD) ~
$12.22 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 79¢ on SALE
- Duke Ellington Swinging at His Best (DVD) ~ $1.58 on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Billie Holiday Fine And Mellow - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Louis Armstrong The Early Years, Recorded Live 1938-1949 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE