Stanley Clarke School Days
Only 7 copies left
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
- 1.School Days
- 2.Quiet Afternoon
- 3.The Dancer
- 4.Desert Song
- 5.Hot Fun
- 6.Life Is Just A Game
Personnel includes: Stanley Clarke (vocals, piano, acoustic, electric & piccolo basses, handbells, gong, chimes); Jack Nimitz, Buddy Childers, Lew McCreary, George Bohanon, William Peterson, Stuart Blumberg, Albert Aarons (brass); David Sancious (organ, keyboards, Mini-Moog synthesizer, guitar); George Duke (keyboards); Billy Cobham (Moog synthesizer, drums); Icarus Johnson (acoustic & electric guitars); John McLaughlin (acoustic guitar); Raymond Gomez (guitar) Gerry Brown (drums, handbells); Steve Gadd (drums); Milt Holland (congas, triangle, percussion).
Recorded at Electric Lady Studios, New York, New York and A&M Studios, Los Angeles, California in June 1976.
Every pro electric-bass player and their mothers wore out the grooves of this record when it first came out, trying to cop Clarke's speedy, thundering, slapped-thumb bass licks. Yet ultimately, it was Clarke's rapidly developing compositional skills that made this album so listenable and so much fun for the rest of us, then and now. The title track not only contributed a killer riff to the bass vocabulary; it is a cunningly organized piece of music with a well-defined structure. Moreover, Clarke follows his calling card with two tunes that are even more memorable -- the sauntering ballad "Quiet Afternoon" and an ebullient, Brazilian percussion-laced number with a good string arrangement and a terrific groove, "The Dancer." Clarke also brings out the standup bass for a soulful acoustic dialogue with John McLaughlin on "Desert Song." Evidently enthused by their leader's material, David Sancious (keyboards) and Raymond Gomez (guitars) deliver some of their best solos on records -- and with George Duke on hand on one cut, you hear some preliminary flickerings of Clarke's ventures into the commercial sphere. But at this point in time, Clarke was triumphantly proving that it was possible to be both good and commercial at the same time. ~ Richard S. Ginell
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 17,836
- UPC: 886972319322
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 311 (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 311 [Clean] (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Don't Tread on Me (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Evolver (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- The "5" Royales The Very Best of The "5" Royales (CD) ~ $12.98 on SALE
- "America Worships" Series White As Snow: Songs from the Heart of the Church (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- #1 Soul Hits of the 1980's #1 Soul Hits of The 1980's (CD) ~ $10.27 on SALE
- ? and The Mysterians Question Mark & The Mysterians (New Stereo Recordings) (CD) ~ $11.03 on SALE
- 101 Strings Orchestra God Bless America (CD) ~ $7.18 on SALE