Miles Davis Miles Davis In Europe
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
sku: SSP 26702
- Released: March 15, 2005
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
- 1.Introduction By Andre Francis
- 2.Autumn Leaves
- 4.I Thought About You
- 6.All Of You
Personnel: Miles Davis (trumpet); Miles Davis; Ron Carter (bass instrument); Tony Williams (drums); George Coleman (tenor saxophone); Herbie Hancock (piano).
Audio Remasterer: Mark Wilder.
Liner Note Authors: Harvey Pekar ; Ralph J. Gleason.
Recording information: Festival Mondial Du Jazz Antibes, Juan-Les-Pins, France (07/27/1963); The Festival Mondial Du Jazz Antibes, Juan-Les-Pins, Fr (07/27/1963).
Photographers: Vernon Smith; Francis Wolff; Jan Persson.
MILES DAVIS IN EUROPE, recorded live in France during 1963, is one of the first indications of the direction trumpeter Miles Davis would take through the rest of the '60s and early '70s. Compared to MY FUNNY VALENTINE, on which the group's free bebop aesthetic was more thoroughly defined, IN EUROPE finds the quintet bridging the modal bop of Davis's late-'50s sound with an edgier, more expressionistic style. The lynchpin of these changes was the band's new rhythm section, comprised of bassist Ron Carter, pianist Herbie Hancock, and 17-year-old drummer Tony Williams.
Hancock builds on the lyricism of Bill Evans (another Davis alum), yet introduces an extremely spare chordal technique that gives the music a free-floating, spacious feel. The blistering cross-rhythms of Carter and Williams propel breakneck takes on "Milestones" and "Joshua," and add intriguing complexity to the ballads "All of You" and "I Thought About You." Saxophonist George Coleman is a formidable player with a light, fleet-fingered, and harmonically inventive approach. Davis balances his famed soft, poetic sound with a bolder attack, exploring an energized, vigorous style that would continue to grow through the decade.
Miles Davis QuintetLive in Europe 1969: The Bootleg Series, Volume 2 (4-CD)
$37.68 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
1970 Isle of Wight Festival: Message To Love (DVD)(67)
$7.83 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Duke Ellington Duke's Mixture / At the Bal Masque (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Charlie Byrd Travelin' Man / The Touch of Gold (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Art Blakey Night In Tunisia / Play Lerner And Loewe (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Buck Clayton How Hi The Fi (featuring Woody Herman) / Jumpin' At The Woodside (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Ike & Tina Turner Golden Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Del Vikings 1956 Audition Tapes (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Skeeter Davis Blueberry Hill / The End of The World (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE