- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 47 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 20, 2004
- Originally Released: 1985
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Stereo Surround - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Featurette: "Robert Altman: Art and Soul"
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 12/06/1985
"...[Shepard's play] has been 'opened up' with intelligence....[It] has several exceptional things going for it, namely the performances..."
Variety - 11/27/1985
"Robert Altman has directed a fine cast in FOOL FOR LOVE with all the authority and finesse a good play deserves..."
Los Angeles Times - 12/06/1985
"...It's a raw, explosively funny, elemental tragicomedy about the pure willfulness of love....What Altman has pulled out of this pair is perfection..."
Robert Altman's adaptation of Sam Shepard's play takes the characters off the stage and places them deep in a barren New Mexico locale. Eddie (Sam Shepard) is a mysterious cowboy drifter who returns to the seedy El Royale Motel with the hope of resuming his romance with May (Kim Basinger), a blonde bombshell who works as a waitress in the bar. Over the course of one night, the lovers argue and talk endlessly, gradually revealing the tragic secret behind their tumultuous affair. Adding conflict to the proceedings is Martin (Randy Quaid), a man who is out to win May's heart. Altman captures the confined atmosphere of Shepard's play, keeping the locations to a minimum. Shot in the middle of the Santa Fe desert, the film plays itself out like a disturbing, nostalgic dream. As the bickering couple, Shepard and Basinger perform with a fiery passion that makes the silent desert all the more unsettling. The songs, by Shepard's real-life sister, Sandy Rogers, ring throughout the night, augmenting the film's dark tone.
Robert Altman's adaptation of Sam Shepard's play about a cowboy drifter and his tortured love affair with his childhood sweetheart is set in a mytho-poetic modern West of pickup trucks and trashy road-side motels. Eddie, back in town after a long absence, tries to resume his romance with May, a pretty blonde bar waitress. Over the course of their one-night reunion, however, a tragic secret behind their affair is revealed.
- The film was released theatrically in December 1985.
- FOOL FOR LOVE was filmed on location in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
- The production was designed by Robert Altman's son, Stephen, who also designed for Altman's VINCENT AND THEO; additionally he later did the sets for the Tina Turner story WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT.
- Sam Shepard's sister Sandy Rogers wrote and sings several of the songs in the film, including LET'S RIDE, IT COMES AND GOES, and GO ROSA.