First Time! The Count Meets The Duke
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
JazzTimes - 9/99, pp.84-6"...the unprecedented interweaving statements of Basie's and Duke's soloists...constitutes one of the rare pleasures of modern-day life....it just blows the mind."
- 1.Battle Royal
- 2.To You
- 3.Take The "A" Train
- 4.Until I Met You
- 5.Wild Man
- 6.Segue In C
- 7.B D B
- 8.Jumpin' At The Woodside
- 9.One More Once - (bonus track)
- 10.Take The "A" Train - (bonus track, previously unreleased, alternate take, rehearsal)
- 11.Jumpin' At The Woodside - (bonus track, previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 12.B D B - (bonus track, previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 13.Blues In Hoss' Flat (Blues In Frankie's Flat) - (bonus track)
- 14.Wild Man - (bonus track, previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 15.Battle Royal - (bonus track, previously unreleased, alternate take, rehearsal)
- 16.(Pause Track)
Duke Ellington Orchestra: Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn (piano); Russell Procope, Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Paul Gonsalves (tenor saxophone); Harry Carney (baritone saxophone); Ray Nance (trumpet, violin); Cat Anderson, Willie Cook, Fats Ford, Eddie Mullens (trumpet); Juan Tizol (trombone, tambourine); Louis Blackburn, Lawrence Brown (trombone); Jimmy Hamilton (clarinet); Aaron Bell (bass); Sam Woodyard (drums).
Count Basie Orchestra: Count Basie (piano); Marshal Royal (alto saxophone); Frank Wess (tenor saxophone, flute); Frank Foster, Budd Johnson (tenor saxophone); Charlie Fowlkes (baritone saxophone); Sonny Cohn, Lonnie Johnson, Thad Jones, Snooky Young (trumpet); Henry Coker, Quentin Jackson, Benny Powell (trombone); Freddie Green (guitar); Eddie Jones (bass); Sonny Payne (drums).
Producer: Teo Macero.
Reissue producer: Phil Schaap.
Recorded on July 6 & 7, 1961. Includes liner notes by George T. Simon, Stanley Dance, Aaron Bell and Phil Schaap.
Digitally remastered using 20-bit technology by Debra Parkinson (Sony Music Studios, New York, New York).
Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); Count Basie (piano); Freddie Green (guitar); Ray Nance (violin, trumpet); Frank Wess (flute, tenor saxophone); Jimmy Hamilton (clarinet); Johnny Hodges, Marshall Royal, Russell Procope (alto saxophone); Frank Foster, Paul Gonsalves, Budd Johnson (tenor saxophone); Harry Carney, Charlie Fowlkes (baritone saxophone); Fats Ford, Eddie Mullens, Lonnie Johnson, Snooky Young, Thad Jones, Willie Cook, Sonny Cohn, Cat Anderson (trumpet); Henry Coker, Juan Tizol, Lawrence Brown , Lou Blackburn, Quentin Jackson, Benny Powell (trombone); Sam Woodyard, Sonny Payne (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Phil Schaap.
Liner Note Authors: George T. Simon; Phil Schaap; Stanley Dance; Aaron Bell .
Photographers: Don Hunstein; Burt Goldblatt.
A battle of the bands? Not quite--more like a mutual admiration society, with the orchestras of both jazz titans playing together, with The Duke heard on the right of your stereo/headphones, The Count on the left. Ellington's elegance and unique voicings meet Basie's rollicking, blues-based Kansas City swing, and it works gloriously. There's no clutter, each band is focused and they sound great together. This is not the thoughtful, reflective composer side of Ellington (listeners should check out FAR EAST SUITE or BLACK, BROWN & BEIGE for that). The Duke and his band accentuate their swingin', dance-band side, and Basie and company have never sounded as suave and exotic as when playing Billy Strayhorn arrangements. Everyone has a good time, and that joy infuses this album from start to finish.
Jazz Classics Collection, Volume 9: More Jazz and Big Band... (DVD)
$14.81 Super Savings
Jazz Classics Collection, Volume 2: Sleepytime Down South (DVD)
$14.81 Super Savings
Here's Edie - The Edie Adams Television Collection (4-DVD)
$30.33 Super Savings
Harlem Renaissance - The Music & Rhythms That Started a... (DVD)(6)
$14.27 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 25 ratings.
Based on 25 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 17,297
- UPC: 886972384023
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection Product Series:
- 311 Music (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Playlist: The Very Best of 311 (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Playlist: The Very Best of 311 [Clean] (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Soundsystem (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Uplifter (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Jazz Instrument: Classic Music Categories:
- Mildred Bailey Squeeze Me: Big Hits from a Great Lady (CD) ~ $14.39
- Bix Beiderbecke 1924 (CD) ~ $3.24 on SALE
$3.87 Super Savings
Bix Beiderbecke & The Chicago Cornets (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Bix Restored, Volume 2 (3-CD Box Set)
$42.04 Super Savings