Al Di Meola Casino
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by John McLaughlin / Al Di Meola ~ Friday Night In San Francisco (with Paco De Lucia) ~ $7.18
- by Al Di Meola ~ The Infinite Desire ~ $10.56
- by Al Di Meola ~ Splendido Hotel ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- Released: February 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
- 1.Egyptian Danza
- 2.Chasin' The Voodoo
- 3.Dark Eye Tango
- 4.Senor Mouse
- 5.Fantasia Suite For Two Guitars: A. Viva La Danzarina / B. Guitars Of The Exotic Isle / C. Rhapsody Italia / D. Bravoto Fantasia
Personnel: Al DiMeola (acoustic & electric guitars, mandolin, castanets, congas, bongos, percussion, hand claps); Barry Miles (marimba, acoustic & electric pianos, organ, synthesizer); Anthony Jackson (bass); Steve Gadd (drums); Mingo Lewis (bongos, congas, percussion); Eddie Colon (timbales, roto toms).
Recorded at Electric Lady Studios, New York, New York. Includes liner notes by Chip Defaa.
Following up the superb Elegant Gypsy was no mean feat, but Al di Meola gave it his best shot with the similarly styled Casino, released in 1978. Featuring a core band of Steve Gadd, Anthony Jackson, and Barry Miles (whom di Meola came up with before the guitarist was invited to join Return to Forever), the playing is sharp and fiery, matching the youthful intensity of the leader. Di Meola is a good composer in the fusion idiom, and the four original compositions on Casino, although clearly bearing the mark of Chick Corea's influence, are strong. His "Fantasia Suite for Two Guitars," featuring di Meola accompanying himself via multi-tracking, is beautiful and dramatic, and hints at the guitarist's later all-acoustic works such as Friday Night in San Francisco. "Dark Eye Tango" opens with a slow theme before turning into an uptempo vehicle for di Meola's darting Les Paul. In fact, it is the leader's solos that frequently prevent the Latin grooves and rhythms found on Casino from sounding stale and a bit dated. His trademark staccato phrasing and high-velocity improvisations are what is noticed upon first listen, but di Meola does have an excellent sense of phrasing that is undeniably present. Contrary to popular opinion, he knows how to use his technique to good effect. Casino is not as strong as either Elegant Gypsy or Romantic Warrior, but is nevertheless well worth picking up for fans either of di Meola himself or of the entire 1970s fusion scene. ~ Daniel Gioffre
Merry Axemas, Volume 2 - More Guitars For Christmas (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 20 ratings.
Based on 20 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 17,493
- UPC: 886972416922
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection Product Series:
- 311 Playlist: The Very Best of 311 [Clean] (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Soundsystem (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Uplifter (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 38 Special Rockin' Into The Night (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Jazz Instrument: Guitar Music Categories:
- John Abercrombie 39 Steps (CD) ~ $17.08
- John Abercrombie / John Abercrombie Quartet The First Quartet (3-CD) ~ $25.50 LABOR DAY
- John Abercrombie November (CD) ~ $16.04 LABOR DAY
- John Abercrombie Rarum, Volume 14: Selected Recordings (CD) ~ $13.48
- John Abercrombie / Ralph Towner Sargasso Sea (CD) ~ $9.64 LABOR DAY