Mahavishnu Orchestra Apocalypse
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
sku: SSP 24167
- Released: February 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
- 1.Power Of Love
- 2.Vision Is A Naked Sword
- 3.Smile Of The Beyond
- 4.Wings Of Karma
- 5.Hymn To Him
Mahavishnu Orchestra: Michael Tilson Thomas (conductor, piano); Carol Shive (vocals, violin); Philip Hirschi (vocals, cello); Gayle Moran (vocals, keyboards); Ralphe Armstrong (vocals, acoustic & electric basses); Michael Walden (vocals, drums, percussion); Jean-Luc Ponty (electric violin, electric baritone violin); Marsha Westbrook (viola); John McLaughlin (guitar).
Additional personnel: The London Symphony Orchestra.
Producer: George Martin.
Reissue producer: Mike Berniker.
Recorded at Air Studios, London, England in March 1974. Includes liner notes by Gene Santoro.
Digitally remastered by Tim Geelan and Larry Keyes (Sony Music Studios, New York, New York).
The first recording of the second Mahavishnu Orchestra was a real stretch for John McLaughlin, an encounter with Michael Tilson Thomas and the London Symphony Orchestra. The union wasn't taken seriously at the time, and it ended up harming the reputation of Thomas -- a remarkably adventurous young conductor who defied the stuffy classical powers-that-be and thus probably delayed his eventual rise to the top -- more than McLaughlin. But those with ears, then and now, beheld a remarkable series of pieces that neatly juxtapose and occasionally combine the combustion of McLaughlin's group with rich, tasteful symphonic statements orchestrated for McLaughlin by Michael Gibbs. The new Mahavishnu-ites, electric violinist Jean-Luc Ponty and keyboardist/vocalist Gayle Moran, have their moments, but the real focus of this disc is the quality of the symphonic conceptions and how well McLaughlin blends his lyrical and fiery guitar into the mixture. The best stretch is the breathtakingly ethereal opening of "Hymn to Him"; the promise of fusing rock, jazz, and classical elements had never been executed so alluringly before -- and wouldn't you know, an old experienced hand at introducing classical textures into rock, the Beatles' George Martin, is the producer. Don't let old, outworn preconceptions on either side of the fence prevent you from checking out this beautiful record. ~ Richard S. Ginell
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 39 ratings.
Based on 39 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Live At Montreux 1974-1984 (2-DVD)(16)
Out of StockSave for Later
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Top ranking titles in the Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection series:
- Various Artists #1 Hits of the Summer: Summer Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists #1 Hits of the Summer: Summer Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Jukebox Hits of The '60s - Rockin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Cyrkle Red Rubber Ball (A Collection) (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Argent Hold Your Head Up (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Duke Ellington Duke's Mixture / At the Bal Masque (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Charlie Byrd Travelin' Man / The Touch of Gold (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Don Shirley Orpheus In The Underworld / Improvisations (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Gloria Lynne I Wish You Love / Go Go Go (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Buck Clayton How Hi The Fi (featuring Woody Herman) / Jumpin' At The Woodside (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE