Mahalia Jackson Mahalia Jackson Live At Newport 1958
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
- 2.An Evening Prayer
- 3.A City Called Heaven
- 4.I'm On My Way
- 5.It Don't Cost Very Much
- 6.Didn't It Rain
- 7.He's Got The Whole World In His Hands
- 8.When The Saints Go Marching In
- 9.I'm Goin' To Live The Life I Sing About In My Song
- 10.Keep Your Hand On The Plow
- 11.The Lord's Prayer
- 12.Walk Over God's Heaven
- 13.Joshua Fit The Battle Of Jericho
- 14.Jesus Met The Woman At The Well
- 15.His Eye Is On The Sparrow
Personnel: Mahalia Jackson (vocals), Mildred Falls (piano), Lilton Mitchell (organ), Tom Bryant (bass).
Reissue producer: Nedra Olds-Neal.
Recorded live at the Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, Rhode Island on July 6, 1958. Includes liner notes by Leslie Gourse.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
This is part of the Columbia Jazz Masterpieces series.
On a Sunday morning at the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival, Mahalia Jackson took the stage and gave a performance that was recognized by fans and critics alike as one of her finest. This album documents that concert, and captures her deep soulfulness, irrepressible exuberance, and the passion of her Christian conviction. Introduced to the audience as "the world's greatest gospel singer," Jackson upholds that claim, unleashing a style that draws from Bessie Smith as much as European church music.
The program consists of traditional songs like "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands" and "When the Saints Go Marching In," with Jackson's soaring alto infusing the tunes with new life. At times, Jackson seems somber and pious, as on the stirringly dramatic "A City Called Heaven." However, on "Didn't It Rain," she's nearly bursting at the seams, overflowing with spirit and rollicking, syncopated swing. Backed primarily by solo piano, Jackson carries the show by herself, with her larger-than-life talent cast in sharp relief by the stark instrumentation. The 1994 CD reissue of this landmark performance includes previously unissued tracks (most notably one song with Duke Ellington and his orchestra), remastered sound, and extensive liner notes.
Thomas A. DorseyPrecious Lord: The Great Gospel Songs of Thomas A. Dorsey (CD) View Details
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 9,983
- UPC: 886972497624
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection Product Series:
- 311 Playlist: The Very Best of 311 [Clean] (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Soundsystem (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Uplifter (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 38 Special Rockin' Into The Night (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Gospel: Classic Music Categories:
- The Abyssinian Baptist Choir / Abyssinian Baptist Gospel Choir Shakin' the Rafters (Live) (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Margaret Allison Go On (CD) ~
$15.62 Super Savings
Margaret Allison He's My Ever Present Help (CD) ~
$16.90 Super Savings
- Margaret Allison Touch Me Again (CD) ~ $21.89
Robert Anderson Working the Road: The Golden Age of Chicago Gospel (CD) ~
$14.32 Super Savings