Columbia Country Classics, Volume 2
by Various Artists
Only 7 copies left
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
- 1.Bob WillsBrain Cloudy Blues
- 2.Floyd TillmanSlipping Around
- 3.Floyd TillmanThis Cold War With You
- 4.Stuart Hamblen(Remember Me) I'm The One Who Loves You
- 5.Floyd TillmanI Love You So Much It Hurts
- 6.George MorganRoom Full Of Roses
- 7.Carl SmithI Overlooked An Orchid
- 8."Little" Jimmy DickensCountry Boy
- 9."Little" Jimmy DickensTake An Old Cold 'Tater (And Wait)
- 10.Carl SmithLet Old Mother Nature Have Her Way
- 11."Little" Jimmy DickensA-Sleepin' At The Foot Of The Bed
- 12.Lefty FrizzellIf You've Got The Money I've Got The Time
- 13.Lefty FrizzellI Love You A Thousand Ways
- 14.Marty RobbinsI Couldn't Keep From Crying
- 15.Lefty FrizzellAlways Late (With Your Kisses)
- 16.Carl SmithHey Joe!
- 17.Johnny HortonHonky Tonk Man
- 18.Ray PriceCrazy Arms
- 19.Marty RobbinsKnee Deep In The Blues
- 20.Ray PriceInvitation To The Blues
- 21.Charlie WalkerPick Me Up On Your Way Down
- 22.Ray PriceHeartaches By The Number
- 23.Stonewall JacksonWhy I'm Walkin'
- 24.Charlie WalkerWho Will Buy The Wine
- 25.Carl ButlerHonky Tonkitis
- 26.Ray PriceHeart Over Mind
- 27.Carl ButlerDon't Let Me Cross Over
Includes liner notes by Rich Kienzie.
This is part of the Columbia Country Classics series.
Personnel: Marty Robbins (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Rich Kienzle.
Recording information: 09/05/1946-02/26/1961.
As part of Columbia's excellent Country Classics series, Honky Tonk Heroes spotlights country music's transition from the bluegrass-heavy golden age of Roy Acuff and Bill Monroe to the honky tonk style that featured the more urbane, shuffle-beat sound forged by Lefty Frizzell and Ray Price in the '40s and '50s. A shift in lyric matter occurred too, as depression-era tales of rural strife were supplanted by woeful stories of tavern life. While Floyd Tillman's overwrought vocals and cloying violin passages on "This Cold War With You" are planted in the past, Little Jimmy Dickens' mixture of country bumpkin singing and hard-driving, guitar-heavy accompaniment on "A Sleepin' at the Foot of the Bed" rides the line between the golden and honky tonk age. The transition is made complete on Lefty Frizzell's classic "If You've Got the Money, I've Got the Time," with its swinging 4/4 beat and tale of bar hopping. Ray Price would take the honky tonk sound to full flower, compliments of his famous shuffle-beat sound on huge hits like "Crazy" and "Heartaches by the Number." Johnny Horton would even add a little rockabilly flavor to the mix with "Honky Tonk Man." With even more great songs by Charlie Walker, Marty Robbins, and Stonewall Jackson, Honky Tonk Heroes is the perfect introduction to the honky tonk sound and a must for any country music collection. ~ Stephen Cook
Porter Wagoner / Dolly PartonThe Essential Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton (CD) View Details
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 2,272
- UPC: 886972428123
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection Product Series:
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 38 Special Rockin' Into The Night (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 38 Special Special Forces (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 38 Special Strength In Numbers (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 38 Special Tour De Force (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE