- Released: April 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
- 1.Seasons Of My Heart
- 2.I Feel Better All Over
- 3.I Couldn't Keep From Crying
- 4.Time Changes Everything
- 5.My Shoes Keep Walking Back To You
- 6.I'd Just Be Fool Enough (To Fall)
- 7.Transfusion Blues
- 8.Why Do You Punish Me (For Loving You)
- 9.I Will Miss You When You Go
- 10.I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
- 11.Just One More
- 12.Honky-Tonk Girl
Digitally remastered by Debra Parkinson (Sony Music Studios, New York, New York).
Johnny Cash is known as one of the finest songwriters in the history of country music, and when his name is mentioned, dozens of his memorable tunes immediately come to mind. Despite his compositional abilities, Cash remains a humble man, able to recognize the greatness of others. It is that ability which is the foundation of THERE WAS A SONG. Here, Cash leaves his songbook and his already minuscule ego at home, recording a batch of tunes made famous by his favorite country singers.
The list of men whose songs Cash tackles here reads like the Country Hall of Fame roster. There's Ernest Tubb's "I Will Miss You When You Go," Hank Williams' classic "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry," George Jones' "Seasons of My Heart" and more. Cash is too individual a talent to copy these singers' styles even if he wanted to, so every selection is a masterpiece of inspiration and reinvention.