Only 6 copies left
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
- 1.Hey Baby
- 2.Sophisticated Lady
- 3.Me And You
- 4.Passion Flower
- 5.I Let A Song Go Out Of My Heart
- 6.It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
- 8.Blue Rose
- 9.I'm Checkin' Out, Goombye
- 10.I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)
- 11.Mood Indigo
- 12.If You Were In My Place (What Would You Do?)
- 13.Just A-Sittin' And A-Rockin'
/Duke Ellington & His Orchestra.
This 1999 reissue contains two bonus tracks.
Personnel: Rosemary Clooney (vocals); Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn (arranger, piano); Russell Procope (alto saxophone, clarinet); Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone); Jimmy Hamilton, Paul Gonzalves (tenor saxophone); Harry Carney (baritone saxophone, bass clarinet); Cat Anderson, Willie Cook, Ray Nance, Clark Terry (trumpet); Jimmy Woode (bass); Sam Woodyard (drums).
Producer: Irving Townsend.
Reissue producers: Didier C. Deutsch, Charles L. Granata, Darcy M. Proper.
Engineers include: Fred Plaut, Robert Waller.
Recorded at CBS 30th Street Studios, New York, New York on January 23 & 27, 1956 and CBS Studios, Los Angeles, California on February 8 & 11, 1956. Includes liner notes by Irving Townsend and Will Friedwald.
Digitally remastered by Darcy M. Proper (Sony Music Studios, New York, New York).
One of the great crimes in the annals of the music business was Columbia producer Mitch Miller's insistence that his star singer Rosemary Clooney record pop dreck like "Mambo Italiano" and "This Ole House" when he had her under his thumb in the early '50s. Well, Ms. Clooney survived these and other indignities to record one of the classiest vocal albums of the '50s, a collaboration with Duke Ellington and Billy Strayhorn called BLUE ROSE. Duke Ellington is not particularly known for his vocalists, though his band featured several fine ones over the years, including the underrated Ivy Anderson and Al Hibbler.
Not only is BLUE ROSE Rosemary Clooney's best album, it is also a great Duke Ellington record. Clooney reprises many of the songs Ivy Anderson introduced, like the famous "I Got it Bad (And That Ain't Good)" and obscure gems like "Me and You" and "I'm Checkin' Out, Goombye." But it is her heartfelt interpretations of the classics "Sophisticated Lady" and "Mood Indigo" that restore new-found meaning to lyrics and melodies long taken for granted. A bonus is a superbly recorded band-only take on Strayhorn's "Passion Flower," featuring a sublime Johnny Hodges.
Rosemary ClooneyDate With The King (with Benny Goodman) / On Stage /...
$10.98 on SALE
Rosemary ClooneyThe Rosemary Clooney Show: Songs from the Classic...
$10.56 Super Savings
Rosemary ClooneyRosemary Clooney Sings the Lyrics of Johnny Mercer
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 22 ratings.
Based on 22 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 10,284
- UPC: 886972418223
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Pop Vocal: Show Vocals Music Categories:
- Karen Akers Feels Like Home (CD) ~ $12.58
- Karen Akers Unchained Melodies (CD) ~ $12.58
Joanna Ampil Joanna Ampil (CD) ~
$18.33 Super Savings
- Julie Andrews Broadway: The Music of Richard Rodgers (CD) ~ $17.08
- Julie Andrews / Carol Burnett The CBS Television Specials: Live at Carnegie Hall/ Live at Lincoln Center (2-CD) ~ $13.57
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 79¢ on SALE
- Joe Williams Me And The Blues / The Song Is You (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Young-Holt Unlimited / Slide Hampton Oh Girl / Somethin' Sanctified (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Billie Holiday Fine And Mellow - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE