Julie Andrews Little Bit of Broadway
Only 4 copies left
|CYBER SALE:||$5.97 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
- 1.Cinderella: In My Own Little Corner
- 2.West Side Story: I Feel Pretty
- 3.By The Light Of The Silvery Moon: By The Light Of The Silvery Moon
- 4.Camelot: The Lusty Month Of May
- 5.Kismet: Baubles, Bangles And Beads
- 6.Conversation Piece: I'll Follow My Secret Heart
- 7.My Fair Lady: Wouldn't It Be Loverly
- 8.Alexander's Ragtime Band
- 9.Wonderful Town: A Little Bit In Love
- 10.Finian's Rainbow: How Are More Things In Glocca Morra?
- 11.Paint Your Wagon: How Can I Wait
- 12.Cinderella: A Lovely Night
- 13.Star!: Burlington Burtie From Bow
- 14.Camelot: I Loved You Once In Silence
- 15.Too Many Girls: I Didn't Know What Time It Was
- 16.My Fair Lady: I Could Have Danced All Night
In effect, this compilation is "The Best of Julie Andrews on Columbia Records, 1957-1962." It is drawn from five albums released during that period: the television soundtrack to Cinderella (1957); the original London (not Broadway, as the liner notes mistakenly say) cast album for My Fair Lady (1959); the original Broadway cast album for Camelot (1960); and two Julie Andrews solo albums, Broadway's Fair Julie (1962) and Don't Go in the Lion's Cage Tonight (1962). (There is also a previously unreleased recording of No‰l Coward's "I'll Follow My Secret Heart" made during the sessions for Broadway's Fair Julie.) The conceit here is that this is all material from Broadway musicals, but that isn't actually true, since the solo recordings include revivals of such independent songs as "By the Light of the Silvery Moon," "Alexander's Ragtime Band," and "Burlington Bertie From Bow" (the last later performed by Andrews in the 1968 film Star!). Never mind that, though. Andrews's stage appearances ended for decades after Camelot, and this set affords the listener a chance to hear what she might have been like in, for example, Leonard Bernstein's West Side Story ("I Feel Pretty") and Wonderful Town ("A Little Bit in Love"), even if it's hard to imagine her ever being cast in such shows. Naturally, she brings her precise phrasing and clear voice to every performance, enthusiastically trying on such diverse material as Lane and Harburg's "How Are Things in Glocca Morra?" (from Finian's Rainbow) and Rodgers and Hart's "I Didn't Know What Time It Was" (from Too Many Girls). Of course, her familiar performances from the shows with which she is associated remain stellar, though listeners would have preferred the Broadway cast versions of the songs from My Fair Lady (even if they are in mono). ~ William Ruhlmann
Hollywood Musicals of the 60's [Documentary] (DVD)
$3.98 CYBER SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 14 ratings.
Based on 14 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 21,509
- UPC: 886972443423
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- The "5" Royales Catch That Teardrop (CD) ~ $18.53 CYBER SALE
- 101 Strings Orchestra Treasury of Christmas (3-CD) ~ $7.87 CYBER SALE
- 112 Part III (CD) ~ $8.34 CYBER SALE
- 2 Live Crew As Nasty As They Wanna Be (CD) ~ $10.79 CYBER SALE
- 21 Guns Salute (CD) ~ $13.37 CYBER SALE