Benny Goodman Live At Carnegie Hall 1938 (2-CD)
Only 4 copies left
|You Save:||$1.29 (8% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: November 2, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Sony
Down Beat - 6/00, pp.76-75 stars out of 5 - "...An instant, precedent-setting legend....an astonishing assembly of the period's greatest modern players, all at their height, in a vigorous and sustained concert performance....produced with original cover art and an unforgiving ear for integrity..."
JazzTimes - 5/00, pp.128-32"...Proclaimed as being the most significant concert in jazz history....Outstanding....this concert belongs in every historically-minded jazz fan's collection..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Benny Goodman Introduction
- 2.Don't Be That Way
- 3.Sometimes I'm Happy
- 4.One O'Clock Jump
- 5.Applause / Transition To Twenty Years Of Jazz
- 6.Sensation Rag
- 7.I'm Coming Virginia
- 8.When My Baby Smiles At Me
- 10.Blue Reverie
- 11.Applause / Transition Back To Goodman Orchestra
- 12.Life Goes To A Party
- 13.Setting Up For Jam Session
- 14.Honeysuckle Rose
- 15.Applause / Setting-Up / Tuning-Up For BG Small Groups
- 16.Body And Soul
- 17.Applause As Lionel Hampton Enters
- 19.Man I Love
- 20.I Got Rhythm
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Blue Skies
- 2.Loch Lomond
- 3.Applause / Benny Goodman's "No Encore" Announcement
- 4.Blue Room
- 5.Swingtime In The Rockies
- 6.Applause / Martha Tilton Returns To Stage
- 7.Bei Mir Bist Du Schon
- 8.Applause / Setting-Up For BG Small Groups
- 9.China Boy
- 10.Benny Goodman & His OrchestraStompin' At The Savoy
- 11.Applause / BG Quartet Continues But Changes Program
- 12.Dizzy Spells
- 13.Applause / Transition Back To Goodman Orchestra For Finale
- 14.Sing, Sing, Sing
- 15.Applause Until Encores
- 16.If Dreams Come True
- 17.Applause For Second Encore
- 18.Big John's Special
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Benny Goodman (vocals, clarinet); Martha Tilton (vocals); Hymie Schertzer, Johnny Hodges (soprano & alto saxophones); Lester Young (tenor saxophone); Harry Carney (baritone saxophone); George Koenig, Art Rollini, Babe Russin (reeds); Ziggy Elman, Chris Griffin, Harry James, Cootie Williams, Buck Clayton (trumpet); Bobby Hackett (cornet); Red Ballard, Vernon Brown (trombone); Lionel Hampton (vibraphone); Jess Stacy, Teddy Wilson, Count Basie (piano); Alan Reuss, Freddie Greene (gyuitar); Harry Goodman, Walter Page (bass); Gene Krupa (drums).
Producer: Albert Marx.
Reissue producer: Phil Schaap.
Recorded at Carnegie Hall, New York, New York on January 16, 1938. Includes liner notes by Phil Schaap and Turk Van Lake.
All tracks have been digitally remastered using 20-Bit technology.
The Benny Goodman Orchestra was in top form when this concert was performed on January 16th, 1938. But this is more than just a concert; this date is significant because it represents the first time a jazz ensemble ever played in a concert hall.
The full Goodman orchestra is featured on many tracks of this two-disc set. Goodman also splits up the evening with some performances by his trio and quartet. Additionally, he gives a 20-year retrospective of jazz, highlighting the Dixieland sound and innovators such as Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, and others. (On "Blue Reverie," some of Ellington's musicians even sit in with Goodman.) Highlights include "Sing Sing Sing (With a Swing)," a classic tune that helped to define the Swing Era itself. This piece features the charismatic drummer Gene Krupa, whose tom-tom rhythms convey a kind of "jungle feel," as the brass figures mimic the call of elephants. On "Avalon," another Goodman favorite, vibraphonist Lionel Hampton really shines. His meticulous arpeggiated runs up and down the vibes are just as exciting today as they must have been in 1938. LIVE AT CARNEGIE HALL 1938 is truly a jazz milestone.
Benny GoodmanThe Famous Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert 1938 (Live) (4-CD Box...
$18.24 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 96 ratings.
Based on 96 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Big Band & Swing genre:
- Tony Pastor Plays And Sings Shaw (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Lou Stein Trio House Hop / 3, 4 & 5 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Woody Herman Sings Ballads & Blues (1945-1947) (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Swing Dance Special, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Cab Calloway Are You Hep To The Jive? (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Southern Nights: Classic Country Crossovers (2CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Afternoon Delight: 70's Romance (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE