She Goes to War (Silent)
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 50 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: June 21, 2011
- Originally Released: 1929
- Label: Grapevine Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Eleanor Boardman & John Holland|
|Directed by||Henry King|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Young Joan disguises herself as a man and follows her fiance, Tom, into the trenches during World War I to find out what war is really like.
Ellen Boardman plays Joan, a local social leader who pushes her congressman uncle to grab her an assignment overseas during World War I. Upon arrival in France, Joan becomes interested in two men--local commoner Tom Pike, and Reggie, a wealthy sheik. Tom rejects Joan's flirtatious advances, leaving her to Reggie, who drinks himself into a stupor when he is called to the front. Joan puts on his uniform and takes his place in the army only to find that her commanding officer is Tom Pike. Observing Tom's heroism makes Joan gushy for Pike, and when she displays her own courage and patriotic self-sacrifices, the feelings become mutual. If both can survive, they may live happily ever after. Beyond the melodrama, romance, and adventure, SHE GOES TO WAR provides an interesting examination of gender roles in this early talkie from director Henry King (THE GUNFIGHTER).
When her lover can't fight in World War I, a woman poses as him to save his honor.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Silent Films genre:
- The Pace That Kills (1928 Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
- The Average Woman (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
- Clara Bow Double Feature: My Lady of Whims (1925) (Silent) / Black Oxen (1923) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
- A Clouded Name (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
- Free To Love (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE