Willie Nelson You Don't Know Me: The Songs of Cindy Walker
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$6.74 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$3.14 (32% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Lost Highway
Rolling Stone - p.643.5 stars out of 5 -- "[H]e's never better than when he's singing lonely-Texas-cowboy-songs, and on this album he draws from the best writer of those songs...the forgotten bug legendary Cindy Walker."
Rolling Stone - p.109Ranked #46 in Rolling Stone's "The Top 50 Albums Of 2006" -- "The outlaw-country king of Texas pays loving tribute to the state's songwriting queen."
Dirty Linen - p.47"[T]he beauty of this collection is that it's not just a nostalgic Western swing revisitation but a broader view of Walker's depth, versatility, and uncanny ability to strike hearts with poignancy and gut-wrenching emotion."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.994 stars out of 5 -- "This is gorgeous....It's a setting that provides Willie's world-weary warble with an ideal backdrop."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Willie Nelson (vocals, gut-string guitar); Willie Nelson; Johnny Gimble, Randy "The Owl" Elmore (fiddle); John Hobbs (Wurlitzer organ, keyboards); Michael Rhodes (electric bass); Curtis Young, Radney Foster, The Jordanaires, Buzz Cason (background vocals); Don Potter (acoustic guitar); Brent Mason (electric guitar); Gordon Mote (piano); Eddie Bayers (drums).
Audio Mixers: Fred Foster; Brent Maher.
Liner Note Author: Daniel Cooper.
Recording information: Cartee Day Studios, Nashville, TN; The Blue Room Studios, Nashville, TN.
Authors: Fred Foster; Willie Nelson.
Photographers: Dorothea Lange; Arthur Rothstein; Dean Dixon ; Danny Clinch.
Country legend Willie Nelson was remarkably prolific in the first years of the 21st century, releasing numerous studio and concert albums, which featured intriguing stylistic departures (the reggae-tinged COUNTRYMAN) and a wide array of guest stars (the live OUTLAWS & ANGELS). On 2006's YOU DON'T KNOW ME, Nelson gets back to his roots with an amiable set of Western swing tunes all penned (at least in part) by underrated songwriter Cindy Walker, both an old friend of the famously mellow artist and a fellow Texan. Many of Walker's songs were first performed in the 1940s and '50s by the great Bob Wills, and Nelson stays true to that vintage vibe by including weepy pedal-steel lines and prominent background vocals. "Bubbles in My Beer" gently percolates with melancholy, while the lighthearted "Don't Be Ashamed of Your Age" is especially ideal for Nelson, as he was in his early seventies at the time of this record's release. Easily one of Willie's best post-millennium albums, YOU DON'T KNOW ME showcases both the charms of Walker's whimsical tunes and the evergreen talent of Nelson.
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)(5)
$19.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 28 ratings.
Based on 28 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Bob Wills Sings & Plays/In Concert (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Charlie Rich Early Years / The Memphis Sound (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings The Greatest Hits / Sings The Blue Train (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE