Public Enemy It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back
Only 4 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$4.12 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.86 (31% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: May 2, 1995
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Def Jam
Rolling Stone - 11/89Ranked #12 in Rolling Stone's "100 Best Albums Of The Eighties" survey.
Rolling Stone - 12/11/03, p.110Ranked #48 in Rolling Stone's "500 Greatest Albums Of All Time" - "...Loud, obnoxious, funky, avant-garde, political, uncompromising, hilarious..."
SpinIncluded in Spin's list of the Top Ten College Cult Classics - "...In any context, a revolutionary work..."
Spin - 12/03, p.122"...NATION OF MILLIONS lived up to its hype and then some..."
Q - 10/01, p.44Ranked #47 in Q's "Best 50 Albums of Q's Lifetime"
Q - 9/95, p.1325 Stars - Indispensable - "...the greatest rap album of all time, a landmark and classic...."
Q - p.1404 stars out of 5 - "Packed full of loud, obnoxious classics....You really should own this by now."
Alternative Press - 11/00, p.144Included in AP's "10 Essential Political-Revolution Albums"
Alternative Press - 8/01, p.112Included in AP's "10 Essential '80s Albums".
Alternative Press - 7/95, pp.76-77Ranked #6 in AP's list of the 'Top 99 Of '85-'95' - "...After IT TAKES A NATION OF MILLIONS TO HOLD US BACK, rap couldn't just be stupid and boom and yelp--it had to have production values and 'relevance'..."
Vibe - 12/99, p.158Included in Vibe's 100 Essential Albums of the 20th Century
Vibe - 6/02, p.108Ranked #1 in Vibe's "Top 10 rap albums".
Melody Maker - 7/22/95, p.35Bloody Essential - "...I hadn't believed it could get harder [than YO! BUM RUSH THE SHOW]. Or better....It was like being beaten over the head in four/four time with a skip..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 6/00, pp.124-5"...Responsible for the angriest polemic since The Last Poets....[They] revolutionized the music, using up to 80 backing tracks in the sonic assault....to these ears PE sound like the greatest rock'n'roll band in history."
NME (Magazine) - 9/25/93, p.18Ranked #5 in NME's list of The 50 Greatest Albums Of The '80s - "...[IT TAKES A NATION...] drags punk, rock, and hip-hop screaming towards the end of the century....Definitive..."
NME (Magazine) - 10/2/93, p.29Ranked #9 in NME's list of the 'Greatest Albums Of All Time.'
NME (Magazine) - 7/15/95, p.4710 (out of 10) - "...the greatest hip-hop album ever....this wasn't merely a sonic triumph. This was also where Chuck wrote a fistful of lyrics that promoted him to the position of foremost commentator/documentor of life in the underbelly of the USA...."
Pitchfork (Website) - "The early Public Enemy masterpieces remain unique and inimitable now, relics of a world irreparably changed though in a few notable ways, very much the same."
- $1.29 on iTunes1.Countdown To Armageddon
- $1.29 on iTunes2.Bring The Noise
- $1.29 on iTunes3.Don't Believe The Hype
- $1.29 on iTunes4.Cold Lampin' With Flavor
- $1.29 on iTunes5.Terminator X To The Edge Of Panic
- $1.29 on iTunes6.Mind Terrorist
- $1.29 on iTunes7.Louder Than A Bomb
- $1.29 on iTunes8.Caught, Can We Get A Witness?
- $1.29 on iTunes9.Show Em Whatcha Got
- $1.29 on iTunes10.She Watch Channel Zero?!
- $1.29 on iTunes11.Night Of The Living Baseheads
- $1.29 on iTunes12.Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos
- $1.29 on iTunes13.Security Of The First World
- $1.29 on iTunes14.Rebel Without A Pause
- $1.29 on iTunes15.Prophets Of Rage
- $1.29 on iTunes16.Party For Your Right To Fight
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Public Enemy: Chuck D, Flavor Flav (vocals); Norman "Terminator X" Rogers (scratches); Professor Griff (background vocals); The Security Of The First World.
Additional personnel: Eric "Vietnam" Sadler, Hank Shocklee (programming); Johnny Juice Rosado (scratches); The Black To The Future Sample Stars (background vocals).
Engineers include: Nick Sansano, Matt Tritto, Chris Shaw.
Recorded at Greene Street Recording, Chung King House Of Metal, New York, New York, Sabella Recording, Roslyn, New York & Spectrum City Studios, Hempstead, New York.
Personnel: Fab 5 Freddy, Harry Allen, Flavor Flav, Oris Josphe, Erica Johnson, Professor Griff, Chuck D (vocals); Eric "Vietnam" Sadler, Hank Shocklee (programming); Johnny "Juice" Rosado (scratches, turntables); Norman Rogers (scratches); Terminator X (turntables).
Audio Mixers: Keith Boxley; DJ Chuck Chillout; Rod Hui; Steven Ett.
Recording information: Chung King House Of MEtal, New York, NY; Greene Street Recording Studio, New York, NY; Sabella Recording, New York, NY; Spectrum City Studios, New York, NY.
Photographer: Glen E. Friedman.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Eric "Vietnam" Sadler; Flavor Flav; Professor Griff; Terminator X; Chuck D.
The title says it all. In 1988, when this album was released, Public Enemy's music cut with a wholly revolutionary edge. Rarely has fear, anger, paranoia and anxiety been so masterfully compressed onto a record's grooves. The Bomb Squad's artistry is the keynote to the hard, lean delivery, while Chuck D's supremely pointed lyrics leave no stone of the black experience unturned. It is not comfortable listening, but on tracks such as 'Don't Believe The Hype', 'Night Of The Living Baseheads' and 'Rebel Without A Pause' the listener is left in no doubt that they are facing a fantastically potent force.
Public EnemyThe Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection
$4.28 Super Savings
Public EnemyPower to the People and the Beats - Public Enemy's Greatest...
$4.48 Super Savings
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)(17)
$4.28 Super Savings
Power to the People and the Beats - Public Enemy's Greatest... (CD)(33)
$4.48 Super Savings
Most Of My Heroes Still Don't Appear On No Stamp (CD)
$11.70 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 186 ratings.
Based on 186 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 56,587
- UPC: 731452735829
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Animal Ambition: An Untamed Desire to Win [Clean] (CD)
$10.33 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Urban & Rap genre:
- The Boogie Boys A Fly Girl / You Ain't Fresh (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Various Artists First Generation Rap - The Old School, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists First Generation Rap - The Old School, Volume 4 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Arrested Development Best of Arrested Development (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- M.C. Luscious Boom! I Got Your Boyfriend / Boom! I Got Your Boyfriend (X-Rated) (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE