Parliament Up for the Down Stroke [Bonus Tracks]
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$6.74 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$5.24 (44% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: April 8, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Island / Mercury
- 1.Up for the Down Stroke
- 4.I Can Move You (If You Let Me)
- 5.I Just Got Back (From the Fantasy, Ahead of Our Time in the Four Lands)
- 6.All Your Goodies Are Gone
- 7.Whatever Makes Baby Feel Good
- 8.Presence of a Brain
- 9.Up For The Down Strokes (Alternate Mix) (Bonus Track)
- 10.Testify (Alternate Mix) (Bonus Track)
- 11.Singing Another Song (Previously Unreleased) (Bonus Track)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Parliament: William Nelson (guitar); Peter Chase (whistle); Cordell Mosson, Bootsy Collins (bass instrument); Eddie Hazel , Clarence "Fuzzy" Haskins, Garry Shider, George Clinton , Grady Thomas, Ramon Tiki Fulwood, Raymond Davis, Bernie Worrell, Ron Bykowski, Gary Bronson, Calvin Simon.
Personnel: Eddie Hazel , Garry Shider (vocals, guitar); Clarence "Fuzzy" Haskins, George Clinton , Grady Thomas, Raymond Davis, Calvin Simon (vocals); Peter Chase (whistling); Bootsy Collins (guitar, drums); Willie Nelson, Billy "Bass" Nelson, Ron Bykowski (guitar); Bernie Worrell (keyboards); Man In The Box, Ramon Tiki Fulwood, Gary Bronson (drums).
Liner Note Author: Jason Chervokas.
Recording information: Crystal Sound Studios, Los Angeles, CA; Hollywood Sound, Los Angeles, CA; United Sound, Detroit, MI.
Photographers: Leandro Correa; Tom Terrell.
Arrangers: George Clinton ; Eddie Hazel ; Bernie Worrell.
Though the heavier, harder, and more psychedelic Funkadelic was George Clinton's main outfit in the early '70, the creation of Parliament (named for Clinton's '60s soul group, The Parliaments, which included many core members of Parliament/Funkadelic) is at least as important in the history of P-Funk. In contrast to Funkadelic's acid-rock freak-outs, Parliament emphasizes vocals and horn riffs while highlighting tunes and melodies. Early efforts of the brilliantly creative songwriting team of George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, and Bernie Worrell (who would achieve apotheosis on MOTHERSHIP CONNECTION) are on display here.
Many of these tracks are textured, psychedelicized rewrites of such Parliament songs as "(I Just Wanna) Testify," the group's first #1 hit. The deeply soulful, multi-part vocal version of this track is pure genius and is arguably the album's highlight. The title cut--another hit for the band--is one of Parliament's most infectious booty-movers, and it would be a staple of their live acts for years to follow. While not essential, UP FOR THE DOWN STROKE is an interesting peek at the beginnings of funk's finest ensemble.
FunkadelicLive: Meadowbrook, Rochester, Michigan 12th September 1971
$13.96 Super Savings
Gloryhallastoopid (Or Pin The Tail On The Funky) (CD)
$5.97 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 18 ratings.
Based on 18 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Somebody's Been Sleeping / 100 Proof Aged In Soul [Import] (CD)
$11.12 Super Savings
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Atl (CD)
$5.39 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Garage Band Halloween, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Garage Band Halloween, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE