James Brown Black Caesar (Original Soundtrack)
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$9.72 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.26 (11% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: September 22, 1992
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Polydor / Umgd
Mojo (Publisher) - 6/02, p.67Included in Mojo's "100 Coolest Movie Soundtracks" - "...Alongside Lynn Collins and Fred Wesley, Brown pulls out all the stops providing relentlessly hard-hitting, dirty funk..."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: James Brown, Lyn Collins (vocals); Jimmy Nolan (guitar); Fred Wesley (trombone); St. Clair Pinckney (bass); Jabo Starks, Steve Gadd (drums); Fred Thomas, Buster Williams, Marvin Stamm, Joe Farrell, Randy Brecker, David Spinozza.
Originally released on Polydor (6014). Liner notes by Harry Weinger.
Personnel: James Brown (vocals).
Audio Mixer: Bob Both.
Liner Note Author: Harry Weinger.
Arrangers: Fred Wesley; James Brown.
After Isaac Hayes kicked his career into high gear with the popular and influential score for Shaft, and Curtis Mayfield managed the same feat with Superfly, seemingly every major soul star of the early 1970's ended up doing music for a blaxploitation film, and James Brown was certainly no exception. Brown sang the title tune for Larry Cohen's idiosyncratic black crime film Black Caesar, as well as performing ten other pieces for the movie's soundtrack (most written by Brown in collaboration with Fred Wesley); Barry Devorzon's lead-off cut, "Down and Out In New York City", sets up the picture's story, while most of the other five vocal cuts reflect the film's narrative in one way or another (although "Make It Good To Yourself" seems to be here mainly because of it's high funk quotient, and on "Mama Feelgood", Brown appropriately hands the vocal chores over to Lynn Collins). Like most soundtrack albums of the period, Black Caesar sounds rather scattershot, especially when the music is divorced from the film's narrative, and this isn't one of Brown's stellar albums of the 1970's; however, there are several top-notch tracks, especially the much-sampled "The Boss", the potent "Make It Good To Yourself", and the melodramatic "Mama's Dead", and Fred Wesley's superb horn charts, Jimmy Nolen's percussive guitar, and Jabo Starks' dead-on-the-one drumming make even the weaker instrumental cuts worth a quick listen (though just try to imagine a chase scene cut to something with the power of "Mother Popcorn" -- now THAT would be a movie!). ~ Mark Deming
Can You Dig It? Music & Politics of Black Action Films:...
$21.11 Super Savings
Isaac HayesDouble Feature: Music From The Soundtracks of "Three Tough...
$10.56 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 19 ratings.
Based on 19 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE
WDAS 105.3FM - Soulful Christmas, Volumes 1 & 2 (2-CD Box...(4)
$19.98 on SALE
Somebody's Been Sleeping / 100 Proof Aged In Soul [Import] (CD)(2)
$11.12 Super Savings
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Atl (CD)(11)
$3.99 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Soundtracks genre:
- Bette Midler Gypsy (Original Soundtrack Recording) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Various Artists My Rifle, My Pony and Me: Movie & TV Soundtracks (CD) ~
$20.91 Super Savings
- Various Artists Black Roses (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (LP) ~ $12.98 on SALE
- Kenny Vance and The Planotones Looking for An Echo (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (CD) ~ $10.98 on SALE
- Andy Griffith Songs, Themes & Laughs From "The Andy Griffith Show" (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE