James Brown Say It Live And Loud - James Brown Live In Dallas 8/26/68
Only 8 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$6.02 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$5.96 (50% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Products with a similar style:
- Marvin Gaye 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of Volume 1 (CD) ~ $3.99
- Released: August 11, 1998
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: Polydor / Umgd
CMJ - 11/09/98, p.24"...This is the live James Brown album - don't miss it..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 1/00, p.106"...this CD captures the atmosphere, drama and impassioned energy of a James Brown concert at its very height..."
- 1.Show Introduction
- 2.If I Ruled The World
- 3.James Brown Thanks
- 4.Introduction To Say It Loud-I'm Black And I'm Proud
- 5.Say It Loud-I'm Black And I'm Proud
- 6.I Guess I'll Have To Cry, Cry, Cry
- 7.Kansas City
- 8.The James Brown OrchSuds
- 9.The James Brown OrchSoul Pride
- 10.The James Brown OrchTighten Up
- 11.Introduction To Star Time!
- 12.Licking Stick-Licking Stick
- 13.Cold Sweat
- 14.There Was A Time
- 16.Papa's Got A Brand New Bag
- 17.I Got The Feeling
- 18.Maybe The Last Time
- 19.I Got You (I Feel Good)
- 20.Please, Please, Please
- 21.I Can't Stand Myself (When You Touch Me)
- 22.Cold Sweat (Reprise)
- 23.I Got The Feeling (Reprise)
- 24.Say It Loud, I'm Black And I'm Proud (Reprise)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: James Brown (vocals); St. Clair Pinckney (vocals, tenor & baritone saxophones); Maceo Parker, Jr. (emcee, tenor saxophone); Alfonzo "Country" Kellum (guitar, bass); Jimmy Nolen (guitar); Richard Jones, Marilyn Jones, Sylvia Medford (violin); Alfred "Pee Wee" Ellis (alto saxophone, organ); Waymon Reed, Richard "Kush" Griffith (trumpet); Fred Wesley (trombone); Levi Rasbury (valve trombone); "Sweet" Charles Sherrell (bass); Clyde Stublefield, Nate Jones (drums).
Reissue producers: Harry Weinger, Alan Leeds.
Engineers: Ron Lenhoff, Suha Gur, Carl Farruggia.
Recorded live at the Dallas Memorial Auditorium, Dallas, Texas on August 26, 1968. Includes liner notes by Chuck D. and Alan Leeds.
Digitally remastered by Kevin Reeves.
Recorded live in Dallas 1968, this album finds James Brown at a key point in his career, both musically and politically. In the aftermath of the King assassination, blacks were rioting in cities throughout the U.S. Any sense of African-American cultural identity was in serious danger. Brown, who till then had largely avoided social commentary in his work, took it upon himself to use his celebrity to help unite his people and halt the violence that was tearing the country apart. One of the key tracks here, "Say it Loud--I'm Black and I'm Proud," is funky, powerful affirmation of black pride that proved inspirational to many during this trying time. During his inner city performances during this period, Brown repeatedly called for an end to the riots, and his influence helped to calm things down.
Sonically, James Brown was an artist in transition. Traces of his earliest work can still be heard on "If I Ruled the World" and "I Guess I'll Have to Cry, Cry, Cry," where he wears the mantle of soul crooner. Classics like "Cold Sweat" and "I Got You" represent the swinging proto-funk of Brown's mid-'60s work. The Godfather of Soul was just about to turn the corner into the world of hardcore funk, as foreshadowed by the foreceful rhythms that underlie the jazzy horns and soul guitar picking. Consequently, LIVE AND LOUD provides an excellent live overview of James Brown's repertoire.
WDAS 105.3FM - Soulful Christmas, Volumes 1 & 2 (2-CD Box...(4)
$19.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 25 ratings.
Based on 25 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Somebody's Been Sleeping / 100 Proof Aged In Soul [Import] (CD)(2)
$11.12 Super Savings
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Atl (CD)(11)
$3.99 Super Savings
Storm Warning: Philly Original Soul Classics, Volume 1 (CD)(2)
$13.95 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE