James Brown Sex Machine
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$4.77 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.21 (20% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 23, 1993
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: Polydor / Umgd
- 1.Get Up I Feel Like Being A Sex Machine
- 2.Brother Rapp (Part I & Part II)
- 4.I Got The Feelin'
- 5.Give It Up Or Turnit A Loose
- 6.I Don't Want Nobody To Give Me Anything (Open Up The Door I'll Get It Myself)
- 7.Licking Stick-Licking Stick
- 8.Lowdown Popcorn
- 9.Spinning Wheel
- 10.If I Ruled The World
- 11.There Was A Time
- 12.It's A Man's Man's Man's World
- 13.Please, Please, Please
- 14.I Can't Stand Myself (When You Touch Me)
- 15.Mother Popcorn
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
J&R Retail Exclusive
Personnel: James Brown (vocals, piano, organ); James Brown; Bobby Byrd (vocals, organ); Richard "Kush" Griffith (guitar, trumpet); Alphonso "Country" Kellum, Jimmy Nolen, Kenny Poole (guitar); Pee Wee Ellis (alto saxophone); Eldee Williams, Robert "Chopper" McCullough (tenor saxophone); Joseph Davis , Clayton "Chicken" Gunnells, Darryl "Hasaan" Jamison, Clayton Gunnells, Darryl Jamison (trumpet); Bootsy Collins, Sweet Charles Sherrell (bass instrument); Melvin Parker, John Starks (drums); Johnny Griggs (congas); Art Lopez (percussion); Robert Graham, Marva Whitney (background vocals); Phelps "Catfish" Collins (guitar); St. Clair Pinckney (tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); Maceo Parker (tenor saxophone, organ); Fred Wesley (trombone); Clyde Stubblefield (drums).
Recording information: Augusta, GA (06/12/1969-07/23/1970); Bell Auditorium, Augusta, GA (06/12/1969-07/23/1970); Cincinatti, OH (06/12/1969-07/23/1970); Miami, FL (06/12/1969-07/23/1970).
Although the CD was supposedly "Recorded live at home in Augusta, Georgia with his bad self," these recordings come from two different sources: a live concert recorded at Augusta's Bell Auditorium in 1969, and a series of studio recordings that were doctored with audience noises and applause. The record, long considered a soul classic, actually features two different bands. The concert recordings feature Brown's band from the 1960s, while the studio songs feature Brown's then-new band, powered by Bootsy Collins on bass and Pelps "Catfish" Collins on guitar.
Whether these recordings are "live" or not is really not the point; Brown has never sung a calculated note in his life, and one would be hard-pressed to distinguish whether one of Brown's trademark howls was recorded in a studio or onstage. His scat singing on "Brother Rapp" sure sounds live. As the furious, barely one-minute-long "I Got the Feelin'" segues into the pure funky adrenaline rush of "Give it Up or Turnit A Loose," it is nearly impossible to keep still. The groove is that infectious. Surprisingly, the title track is not the hit single version of "Sex Machine," but rather an extended, more leisurely rendition.
James BrownSay It Live And Loud - James Brown Live In Dallas 8/26/68
$6.02 Super Savings
WDAS 105.3FM - Soulful Christmas, Volumes 1 & 2 (2-CD Box...(4)
$19.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 24 ratings.
Based on 24 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Somebody's Been Sleeping / 100 Proof Aged In Soul [Import] (CD)(2)
$11.12 Super Savings
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Atl (CD)(11)
$3.99 Super Savings
Storm Warning: Philly Original Soul Classics, Volume 1 (CD)(2)
$13.95 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE