Bobby "Blue" Bland Greatest Hits, Volume 1: The Duke Recordings
|You Save:||$1.10 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 16, 1998
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: MCA
- 1.Farther Up The Road
- 2.I'll Take Care of You
- 3.I Pity The Fool
- 4.Cry, Cry, Cry
- 5.Don't Cry No More
- 6.Ain't That Lovin' You
- 7.Who Will The Next Fool Be?
- 8.Turn On Your Love Light
- 9.Stormy Monday Blues
- 10.Yeild Not To Temptation
- 11.That's The Way Love Is
- 12.Call On Me
- 13.These Hands (Small But Mighty)
- 14.That Did It
- 15.Good Time Charlie, Part One
- 16.Chains of Love
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Bobby "Blue" Bland (vocals); Wayne Bennett (guitar); Johnny Board, Jimmy Beck (alto & tenor saxophones); Bobby Forte (tenor saxophone); Rayfield Devers (baritone saxophone); Joe Scott, Melvin Jackson (trumpet); Pluma Davis (trombone); Skippy Brooks, Johnny Young (piano); Hamp Simmons, Phil Upchurch (bass); John "Jabo" Starks, Harrell Porter (drums).
Recorded between 1961 & 1966. Includes liner notes by Chris Morris.
Digitally remastered by Erick Labson (MCA Media Studios, North Hollywood, California).
Personnel: Bobby "Blue" Bland (vocals); Gerald Sims, Wayne Bennett (guitar); Jimmy Beck, Johnny Board (alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); L.A. Hill, Bill Harvey, Bobby Forte (tenor saxophone); Joe Scott (trumpet); Pluma Davis (trombone); Skippy Brooks, Johnny Young (piano); Teddy Reynolds (organ); John Starks, Sonny Freeman (drums).
Liner Note Author: Chris Morris.
Recording information: Chicago, IL (??/??/1957-02/28/1969); Detroit, MI (??/??/1957-02/28/1969); Houston, TX (??/??/1957-02/28/1969); Los Angeles, CA (??/??/1957-02/28/1969); Nashville, TN (??/??/1957-02/28/1969).
Photographer: Ray Flerlage.
Arranger: Jay Wellington.
Though distilling Bobby Bland's staggering 29-year run at Duke records into one disc would be an impossible task, GREATEST HITS, VOULME 1 serves as a quick introduction for the uninitiated. What one takes away from listening to this collection is just how much Bland's style of blues differed from that of peers like B.B. King, John Lee Hooker, and others. Although Bland is a Memphis native with gospel roots, his recordings are not the macho guitar boogie stompers or swampy Delta voodoo numbers so often associated with the blues.
The album contains a list of classics from the heyday of the blues: "Farther up the Road," "I Pity the Fool," and "Stormy Monday Blues" to name a few. Bland's classic ballad "Cry, Cry, Cry" is the first track on which listeners hear the famous Bland squall, a strangled cry of passion that was just as much physical as it was emotional. He raises his voice to pumping highs on the ripping "Turn on your Lovelight" and tones it down to something disarmingly gentle on the lovely "Call on Me." Although his name may not be as easily recognizable as his more celebrated peers, Bobby Bland is just as deserving of their icon status.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Brooks and Dunn - The Greatest Hits Video Collection (DVD)
$12.50 LABOR DAY
Top ranking titles in the Blues genre:
- Various Artists Old Town Records Presents City Blues (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Lightnin' Hopkins Blues (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Mississippi John Hurt Satisfying Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Old Town Records Presents Country Blues (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Buster Brown New King of The Blues - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE