Alberta Hunter Songs We Taught Your Mother
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$15 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4.98 (25% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: April 14, 1992
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Obc
- $1.29 on iTunes1.Alberta HunterI Got Myself A Workin' Man
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Lucille HegaminSt. Louis Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Victoria SpiveyBlack Snake Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Alberta HunterI Got A Mind To Ramble
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Lucille HegaminYou'll Want My Love
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Victoria SpiveyGoing Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Alberta HunterYou Gotta Reap What You Sow
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Lucille HegaminArkansas Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Victoria SpiveyGot The Blues So Bad
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Alberta HunterChripin' The Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Lucille HegaminHas Anybody Seen My Corine
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Victoria SpiveyLet Him Beat Me
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Alberta Hunter, Lucille Hegamin, Victoria Spivey, Sidey De Paris, J.C. Higginbotham, Buster Bailey, Cliff Jackson, Zutty Singleton, Henry Goodwin, Cecil Scott, Willie "The Lion" Smith, Gene Brooks.
Originally released on Bluesville (1052).
Personnel: Alberta Hunter (vocals); Victoria Spivey (vocals, piano); Lucille Hegamin (vocals); Cecil Scott (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Buster Bailey (clarinet); Sidney DeParis (trumpet, tuba); Henry Goodwin (trumpet); J.C. Higginbotham (trombone); Cliff Jackson , Willie "The Lion" Smith (piano); Gene Brooks, Zutty Singleton (drums).
Liner Note Author: Chris Albertson.
Recording information: Englewood Cliffs, NJ (08/16/1961); New York, NY (08/16/1961).
Unknown Contributor Roles: Cliff Jackson ; Cecil Scott; J.C. Higginbotham; Gene Brooks; Sidney DeParis; Willie "Big Eyes" Smith; Zutty Singleton; Buster Bailey.
Although Alberta Hunter, who had briefly come out of retirement, gets first billing on this CD reissue, in reality she shares the spotlight with two other veterans of the 1920s: Lucille Hegamin and Victoria Spivey. Each of the singers is featured on four songs apiece while backed by such top players as clarinetist Buster Bailey, trombonist J.C. Higginbottham, and Cliff Jackson or Willie "The Lion" Smith on piano. Hunter is in superior form on such numbers as "You Gotta Reap Just What You Sow" and "I Got a Mind to Ramble," although she would soon be out of music for another 15 years, continuing her work as a nurse. Hegamin (who had not recorded since 1932) was having a brief last hurrah, despite sounding good, and Spivey, reviving her "Black Snake Blues," would soon be launching her own Spivey label. This is a historic and enjoyable set recommended to both classic jazz and blues collectors. ~ Scott Yanow
Darn That Dream, Volume 89 (CD + Play-A-Long Book Set)
$15.39 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!