Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: January 15, 1991
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: Obc
Q - 12/92, p.1464 Stars - Excellent - "...Frontally mixed, his sonorous, slapping double bass promenades through each of the very distinctive songs, his fully-burred, casually swinging voice ambles through the jazzy sparseness..."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Willie Dixon (vocals, bass); Memphis Slim (piano); Wally Richardson (guitar); Al Ashby (tenor saxophone); Gus Johnson (drums).
Recorded in Engelwood Cliffs, New Jersey on December 3, 1959. Originally released on Pretige/Bluesville (1003). Includes original liner notes by Dale Wright.
Digitally remastered by Joe Tarantino (1990, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley).
Willie Dixon's first album under his own name is a tasty, if rather curious affair. It was recorded at the dawn of the first great blues revival, before white college kids like the Rolling Stones started plugging their guitars into amps and emulating Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolf. In fact, WILLIE'S BLUES is what those two artists might have sounded like had they been recorded in a jazz setting.
The lack of harmonica is unsettling, although Al Ashby's tenor sax fills in manfully, and the sound is eerily clean--one waits in vain for that great Chess Records reverb. All in all, the album is rather more laid back than you might have expected. For want of a better term, it's almost lounge blues, with the notable exceptions of "Slim's Thing," a great boogie woogie workout that gives co-conspirator Memphis Slim a chance to strut his stuff on piano, and a chugging version of Howlin' Wolf's "Built for Comfort."
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The History of American Music: The Blues (+ DVD) (CD)
Out of StockSave for Later
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE