Reverend Gary Davis The Guitar & Banjo of Reverend Gary Davis
17 copies available
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Reverend Gary Davis ~ Demons and Angels: The Ultimate Collection (Live) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $33.28
- by Reverend Gary Davis ~ Harlem Street Singer ~ $9.88
- by Reverend Gary Davis ~ Little More Faith ~ $17.08
Products with a similar style:
- Blind Lemon Jefferson Penitentiary Blues - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $6.49 (Save 50%)
- Released: July 17, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Obc
- 1.Maple Leaf Rag
- 2.Low Drag (Cincinnati Flow Rag)
- 3.The Boy Was Kissing The Girl (and Playing The Guitar At The Same Time)
- 4.Candy Man
- 5.United States March (Soldier's Drill)
- 6.Devil's Dream
- 7.The Coon Hut
- 8.Mister Jim (Walkin' Dog Blues)
- 9.Please Baby
- 10.Fast Fox Trot (Buck Rag)
- 11.Can't Be Satisfied
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Recorded in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, on March 2, 1954.
Personnel: Rev. Gary Davis (vocals, guitar, banjo, harmonica).
Recording information: Englewood Cliffs, NJ (03/02/1964).
Because this is an all-instrumental recording, it's an offbeat entry into the catalog of a performer known both as an important guitarist and as a singer. Some might miss Davis' vocals on this 1964 recording, but on the other hand there are plenty of records with him singing around. This gives listeners a chance to hone in on his dexterous guitar skills, blending ragtime, folk, and blues, usually on guitar (though he plays banjo on a couple of songs, and harmonica on one). "Maple Leaf Rag" is a natural showcase for Davis' talents, and "Candy Man," which may be his most well-known song, is here presented without words, making for an interesting juxtaposition with more commonly heard versions on which he (or others) sings. As further evidence of his eclecticism, there's a version of "United States March aka Soldier's Drill" -- not the best format for his strengths, certainly, but an illustration of his ability to adapt his style to unexpected material. ~ Richie Unterberger
Generations of Blues, Volume 1 - Legendary Guitarists (CD)
Out of StockSave for Later
Prestige Profiles (Plus Bonus CD, Volume 8) (2-CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE