Reverend Gary Davis Harlem Street Singer
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|You Save:||$1.10 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 11, 1993
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Obc
- 1.Samson And Delilah
- 2.Let Us Get Together Right Down Here
- 3.I Belong To The Band
- 4.Pure Religion
- 5.Great Change Since I Been Born
- 6.Death Don't Have No Mercy
- 7.Twelve Gates To The City
- 8.Goin' To Sit Down On The Banks Of The River
- 9.Tryin' To Get Home
- 10.Lo, I Be With You Always
- 11.I Am The Light Of This World
- 12.Lord, I Feel Just Like Goin' On
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Solo performer: Gary Davis (guitar, vocals).
Recorded at Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on August 24, 1960. Includes liner notes by Larry Cohn.
Digitally remastered by Phil De Lancie (1992, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Recorded during a three hour session on August 24, 1960, Gary Davis laid down 12 of his most impassioned spirituals for Harlem Street Singer. Starting off the session with a version of Blind Willie Johnson's "If I Had My Way I'd Tear That Building Down," here renamed "Samson and Delilah," Davis is in fine form. His vocals are as expressive as Ray Charles' while similar in richness to Richie Havens' work. Harlem Street Singer features his inspired country blues fingerpicking as well. Many moods color the selections, from the gentle "I Belong to the Band" to the mournful "Death Don't Have No Mercy," only to be followed by the joyous shouting of "Goin' to Sit Down on the Banks of the River." Overall, the collection is well worth the purchase and should be considered essential listening for fans of country blues or gospel. ~ Matt Fink
Reverend Gary DavisDemons and Angels: The Ultimate Collection (Live) (3-CD Box...
Generations of Blues, Volume 1 - Legendary Guitarists (CD)
Out of StockSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE